Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    Ferndale already takes an aggressive stance towards anyone who they view as "outsiders" and often that means anyone of color. Whenever I am driving on woodward through ferndale and I see more than one cop car stopping a vehicle it is almost always a black driver. There is clearly a bias among the police toward the black community, even if they are not from Detroit. Now I see people on here that are essentially calling for everyone to be searched if they are coming from Detroit. So how about we just put up a wall around Detroit and set up check points where each person will be searched. The idea that you can cut off access and prevent crime is stupid. You may make it a bit more difficult for the criminal but if they are determined then they will get through. Unless you address the causes of why the criminals turn to crime then you will never stop crime. Yes there are people who will be criminals no matter what, but I think a majority of criminals became what they are as a result of society rather than nature.
    I respectfully disagree that Ferndale still has a problem with race. I've lived there for 20 years now, and can tell you that things have come a LONG WAY during that time.

GUSHI Guest

I'm white and I use to get pulled over in Ferndale all the time, 1 time i got pull over w/ a friend and had some tools on the back seats of my camaro and the cop ended up searching my car because
    I guess having tools on ur back seats, means we must of been stealing radios. The cops do the same shit in Hazeltuck, warren, and sterling hgts. Do they really need 3 or 4 cops cars to pull one car over, it use to drive me nuts.

This is absurd. The area of Detroit between Woodward and Livernois [[Green Acres, Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods) is one of the best in the city. I'd say it's wealthier than Ferndale, and many of the houses are much larger.

If anything we should be opening up the border between Detroit and Ferndale, and all border communities.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    This is absurd. The area of Detroit between Woodward and Livernois [[Green Acres, Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods) is one of the best in the city. I'd say it's wealthier than Ferndale, and many of the houses are much larger.
    I definitely think you're right. These neighborhoods are wealthier, and the homes are much larger [[and much, much nicer).

Unfortunately, this doesn't matter. The problems in Ferndale, whether the gun incidents in the schools, to the strong-arm robberies, originate in Detroit. Yes, the Detroit side homes have fancy cornices and pewabic pottery, and the Ferndale side has dumpy bungalows and nonarchitecture. Makes no difference.

It's quite common that Detroit neighborhoods are physically nicer than their suburban neighbors. The Detroit side of 8 Mile has nicer homes than South Warren, for example. The Aviation neighborhood has nicer homes than East Dearborn.

Can you imagine when the Jewish Community moved from beautiful homes along Livernois to the factory-grade bungalows of Oak Park? What a serious downgrade. But I bet you most folks thought they were improving their lives, and they were probably right.

ferntruth Guest

If anything we should be opening up the border between Detroit and Ferndale, and all border communities.
    I'll agree that there are larger homes in those areas you mentioned. As for wealthier, I'd like your source for that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    I'll agree that there are larger homes in those areas you mentioned. As for wealthier, I'd like your source for that claim.
    I would be shocked if Ferndale is wealthier than Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest/Green Acres.

Ferndale, for all its hipster/gay professional cred, mostly looks like Hazel Park to me. Especially east of Woodward, it looks, very, very modest.

I see more old pickups and union stickers than Nissan Fits and equality stickers, and I don't think it's irony or anything.

Some of these comments about sealing off streets at 8 Mile, etc. are a bit disturbing. Those arrested for the first robbery included individuals who lived in Oak Park - should we seal off 9 mile at the Ferndale/Oak Park border too?
    For some suburban residents, apparently there are never enough barriers, walls or concrete moats.

I'd look at Median Home prices and household incomes.

Ferndale Median Home Price: $60,000
    Ferndale Median Household Income: $45,629

Sherwood Forest Median Home Price: $120,000
    Sherwood Forest Median Household Income: $110,745

Palmer Woods Median Home Price: $225,000
    Palmer Woods Median Household Income: $110,745

No Data on Green Acres, but I'm guessing the Median Home prices is somewhere between Sherwood's and Ferndale's.

Plus, Sherwood Forest and Plamer Woods both have their own private security forces, and strong neighborhood associations. I don't know about Green Acres.

So actually, I would assume Ferndale DOES rely on Detroit for business. I'm sure many of these wealthy residents of Detroit go to Ferndale and similar communities to do much of their shopping.

I'm sure many of these wealthy residents of Detroit go to Ferndale and similar communities to do much of their shopping.
    No doubt; but the issue is plenty of folks from other hoods are coming over too.

No one think Palmer Woods residents are ransacking Ferndale.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    For some suburban residents, apparently there are never enough barriers, walls or concrete moats.
    Hopefully B'ham provides enough barriers to entry of hipsters/gay professionals/pickup drivers/union workers for them.

GUSHI Guest

Its the econmy and people feeding their drug habbits[[suspect found w crack pipes,spoons, siringes), I live in Selby Twp. , and just picked up the local paper, more car break-ins and more garage break-ins. Didnt it seem that there was home invasions evert other week in sterling heights and that what 6 mile north of the city limits. Criminals are criminals,I dont think its a white/black thing. There is lowlifes all over.

...did I miss where they said the robbers were from Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrixdale View Post
    Don't you understand? Some posters here have ESP and can tell the skin color, home and motive of robbers just from a tiny news clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Don't you understand? Some posters here have ESP and can tell the skin color, home and motive of robbers just from a tiny news clip.

Gotcha.

"Hide Your Kids...Hide Your Wife/ Husband Too cause They Raping Everybody Out Here"

[[sigh)

no more borders.. southeast michigan is balkanized enough as it is..

This is absurd. The area of Detroit between Woodward and Livernois [[Green Acres, Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods) is one of the best in the city. I'd say it's wealthier than Ferndale, and many of the houses are much larger. If anything we should be opening up the border between Detroit and Ferndale, and all border communities.
    The point isn't the surrounding area, the point is access. If someone wants to break into a house or business, they are looking for two things - how easy it is to get in and how fast they can get out [[and disappear.)

If the only way in and out is down one or two streets, and those streets are lined with cops watching every car coming and going - that makes things pretty rough for criminals looking to make a fast getaway.

There was an article a few years ago about the relatively high petty theft rate in the Telegraph and 12-mile area, especially from parking lots. The reason was simple - you can break into a car and grab a bunch of stuff, then be on one of three freeways in under five minutes.

The national trend, in both high income and low income areas, is for more perscription drug abuse, especially opiates. Michigan and Florida are two of the states most well known for fueling the Oxycontin disaster unfolding in Appalaicha.

These pharmacy robberies are directly related to a national problem

ROTFL! I could not help myself **sigh**
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...You all can go hit 20 Mile Rd now.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-14-11 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ferndale should close and dead-end all residential streets leading to 8 Mile, the way they do in much of the Pointes along Mack.
    Um... out of 30-40 Detroit facing streets along Mack in the Grosse Pointes... only 3 or 4 are closed to traffic.... as cul-de-sac type streets. Yes there are those streets that end at the Mack alley [[such as between Kirby and the Post Office... but those have been that way for over 1/2 century, and not to prevent crime... but to allow for larger retail footprints along Mack. The Detroit side did the same thing 1/2 century ago to allow space for the many [[some now vacant) auto dealers

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Hopefully B'ham provides enough barriers to entry of hipsters/gay professionals/pickup drivers/union workers for them.
    It does, but unfortunately, we're still working on barriers to unfunny and sarcastic website commenters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um... out of 30-40 Detroit facing streets along Mack in the Grosse Pointes... only 3 or 4 are closed to traffic.... as cul-de-sac type streets. Yes there are those streets that end at the Mack alley [[such as between Kirby and the Post Office... but those have been that way for over 1/2 century, and not to prevent crime... but to allow for larger retail footprints along Mack. The Detroit side did the same thing 1/2 century ago to allow space for the many [[some now vacant) auto dealers
    The intent is irrelevent. The fact is that the streets dead-end on the GP side. Whether this was done 50 years ago is immaterial to the fact that they prevent easy access in and out of residential streets.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrixdale View Post
    Actually someone pointed out the suspects are from Oak Park, which certainly is not Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The point isn't the surrounding area, the point is access. If someone wants to break into a house or business, they are looking for two things - how easy it is to get in and how fast they can get out [[and disappear.)
    I agree. It wouldn’t take walls or moats for a less hospitable getaway route. Plating a tree in the crosswalk of every other residential street accessible from a major thoroughfare would do wonders. It would create a “go-around” sense of flow. The current “go-through” [[fast as you can) system is damning for neighborhoods. One-way residential streets were cut from the same idea of reducing unwanted traffic.

I’d say 75% of the traffic on my street is from going from Woodward to John R. On their way …most of them grace us with their music and trash from their cars. :’[[

Are there any good reasons one wouldn’t want to alter the square crosshatch street grids?

"Ferndale is kind of a tough town to figure. I can't tell which way it's headed."

This coming from a poster who got a comment and offers solutions on everything Ferndale.

As to your earlier "wall the place off", there is traffic control measures in place along 8 mile, 10 mile service drive and the area around the 8 mile/ I-75 overpass. In addition, our cops are constantly out looking for quick revenue enhancement from the area speedsters. BTW - Thanks to those for your donation.

Also, walling off our community is about as stupid as B'ham opting out of SMART because of a few interactions on their downtown's corners. We do pretty damn fine here in Fashionable Central and instances like these robberies are few and far between.

As noted above, we just voted in more taxes to help keep our city services strong. I think that puts us in a pretty good position when compared to some of our regional neighbors for the next few years of potential tough times. There's a certain level of pride that is in this City. We enjoy having extremely good services and high quality of life and so far, these past investments are paying current dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The intent is irrelevent. The fact is that the streets dead-end on the GP side. Whether this was done 50 years ago is immaterial to the fact that they prevent easy access in and out of residential streets.
    What a shame that all wisdom must die with you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast