Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
Remember the hot summer of '88 in SE Mich? I sho do. If I recall right, Detroit had 10 0r 12 days of 100F temps over two months, a highly usual weather phenomenon, but short of a summer record for heat.

Yes, I experienced it,too. It was caused by El Nino. It pushed the jet steam further north to Canada. Than a big dome a high pressure formed from the midwest. It grew super large and moved very slowly to the northwest. High pressure dome trapped a lot of water prevent more cloud forming convection. The water evaporated, but stay as free water vapor. Then it became an instant greenhouse gas trapping heat making the enviroment hot , muggy and very humid. Michigan was effected by the great heat wave of 1988. Lot's of people were driving indoors and some to basements. Cooling centers was used and lots of people are suffered heat strokes and dehydration. It was the worse heat wave since the last one on 1987. From 1984 to 1990 El Nino stayed over the South Pacific until it moved back to its orginal spot. By 1990s to 1998 We have a normal winter until La Nina came. Metro-Detroit area sought warmer temperatures in Mid December and quick below freezing by the first day of Winter. By January of 1999 La Nina dump over 2 and half feet of snow causing all travel in Metro-Detroit area to grind to halt. Detroit was ill prepared for this event for snow removal.