Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The Tplex is cool. It's the Model T plant on Piquette.

Stromberg2

Where was Ramchargers on Hilton? Was Hodges Dodges at the same facility back in the day as they are now? Was it ever south of Cambourne at what used to be Fernwood Dodge?
    I had a summer job at Fernwood Dodge as a used car porter in the mid-70's. Plenty of hot Mopars on the lot for me to "blow out the carbon".
    Only downside was I had to ride along with anyone who test drove a car. I never had any problems. Maybe they thought I came with the car.

Sailor Rick
    In the early-1960s, Ramchargers was located at 1950 Hilton Road, Ferndale. I'm not sure the building is still there. I believe in the mid-1960's they moved to Taylor.

Thanks for all the replies! Have been abroad so it took awhile to answer.

redvetred,

Yes, not much left of the Chrysler complex in Highland Park. As far as I know the only building still standing is a warehouse in the northeast corner of the property. There are also at least one old gate left. But for me it would still be a magic place to visit knowing the incredible history.
    The WPC Museum is a must, I have been there in 2007 but I am sure that there is a lot of new things to see. A Ramchargers storyboard sounds very cool!
    Very cool to hear the exact Hilton Road garage location, this is the info I really look for! Is it the building across the side street from Chosen Books? Chosen Books is 1956 Hilton, Google Maps gives wrong numbers.
    http://maps.google.fi/maps?q=1950+Hi...12,131.48,,0,0

Sorry, my car is nothing special, just a rusty 1961 Dodge from Wisconsin. The altered wheelbases started in 1964. I am attaching a picture of the Ramchargers 61.
    Name:  1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer The Ramchargers.jpg
Views: 7973
Size:  38.4 KB

Packman41

Thanks for those links, have to check them out! Great stuff!

stromberg2

Will definitely check out the Tplex!

Sailor Rick

I have been a bit confused of the Hodges Dodges locations as well, had a lot of photos of the dealership but lost them when my old computer kicked the bucket. My guess is though that the current Hodges Subaru is the old Hodges Dodges in 1960:s photos? BTW, if you look at Woodward Avenue on Google Maps they have shot photos during the Woodward Dream Cruise and the Hodges van is still a Dodge Ram
    You wouldn't happen to remember the exact location of the Motown Missile facility? It might not be very hard to find via Google Street View?
    I am quite familiar with the Silver Bullet, what a piece of Detroit history! Looking forward to seeing it! What was even more thrilling to me though was a recent piece of info in Genat's excellent Woodward Avenue book. He was talking about the Silver Bullet and when following Jimmy Addison Dave Koffel got into trouble with the cops driving a Petty Blue 68 Road Runner looking like a race car. This was the brainchild of the Chrysler ad agency, Young & Rubicam, and was thought to be marketed in 1969 as a "Petty Special". Petty Blue, huge "Plymouth" logos on the quarters like Superbirds would later have, Hemi, 4-sp, black interior and black steel wheels etc etc. Unfortunately Petty went to Ford in '69 and the project was scrapped. Before this book I had only heard the car mentioned one time before, in a 3 page article in the October 1985 issue of Car Craft magazine. Needless to say, it made an impression...

douglasm

Sure wish I'd still have all those photos, you could probably clear out a few things.