The majority of todays prison system is obsolete and unnecessary. I understand its fun thinking about ppl like KK on a ball and chain by the side of the road sweating and picking up trash. I dont believe non violent offenders should be locked up, but could be used for the benifit of the city state or country. Todays prisons should be saved for the worst of the worst.
Years ago I served Macomb county 45 days for driving on a suspended license, I may not be the sharpest spoon in the toolbox but they could have probably made better use of my time working for the state rather than sitting in a box being fed for that 45 days.For the record, this happens all the time due to the wonderful Drivers Responsibility Act that Granholm brought us.
With todays technology we should be able to phase out traditional prisons and jails, especially for non violent offenders.
I understand the thought of putting someone in a cell for their crimes can seem pretty gratifying and we can all congratulate ourselves for punishing those that have hurt us, but come on, this is the 21st century right?

My mom always taught me that two wrongs do not equal a right. Our prison system has become a reallife hell on earth, where rape is acceptable, being stabbed is common justice. I for one believe we can become a better people that that.

As for the death penalty, its proven not to be a deterrent, and more co$tly.