Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Every time he tries to get his bridge built, he says he is going to do something with MCS then we get excited and nothing happens. Glad he is at least FINALLY doing something about the windows.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-Central-Depot

How's about that for a slice of fried gold?

why couldn't MCS be the terminal for the new high speed rail possibly being built between Det & Chi?

Its all a game and obviously people are falling for it.
    Its about what he wants and what he's gotta do to get it.
    This is NOT a restoration.

I see some of you are not falling for it... but, while this is not a restoration, I think Maroun knows there's value in this building.

First, there's value in preserving it due to the overwhelming number of people who want to see it restored.

Secondly, Maroun sees economic activity occurring all around his decrepit property and may think that there's some opportunity to profit off of Corktown's resurgence.

Third, there has been money appropriated by the feds to build a semi-high-speed rail line between Detroit and Chicago. A natural terminus is right there at MCS. I'll bet all my marbles that Maroun is going to try and obtain a monopoly over the rail line terminal. He already controls all truck traffic between Detroit and Windsor, why not control all passenger traffic between Detroit and Chicago?

Fourth, he may get some tax credits to restore building.

Fifth, he is no spring chicken, and this may be his last attempt to be remembered as something other than a "Mr. Burns." Let's face it, his public reputations is less than worthless. If Ilitch died today, most people would remember him fondly, and many would want to memorialize his image somewhere in Foxtown. If Maroun died today, there certainly wouldn't be people erecting a monument to pay tribute to his memory in SW Detroit.

Maroun has every reason to fix up MCS. In fact, even with his money, it would take time to think up reasons why the building should be left to decay. It is iconic. MCS is perhaps Detroit's most notable building outside of the RenCen. There's a lot of direct and tangential benefits to restoring MCS. Honestly, I'm surprised it has taken Maroun this long.

The article is no longer available. Any other links? What did it say?

A user just posted a photo of the station with windows boarded up with faux frames