Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
The reason I would walk down the middle of the street as a kid had everything to do with it being the safest place to be. You have a greater time to react to danger the farther away you are from the hiding places.

Whether you raise your children in the suburbs or the city should not matter in terms of culture. Its what you expose your children to that counts. Yes the City has many fine cultural attractions but the suburbs have Cranbrook, the Henry Ford, and lots of places too. Growing up in the City we would go to the DIA, Zoo, Henry Ford, Dossin, Aquarium, the Cider Mill, Plum Street, Boblo... it was all Detroit as far as we were concerned.

Stop putting up cultural walls that need not be there.
Thank you. And, despite it all, there are some kids who received a fine education in some of the DPS schools. Yes, most of the schools are subpar, but the ones that aren't will give all but the most elite suburban schools a run for their money. I wasn't hurt a single bit in life by my DPS education, and apparently, neither were my students. My first class 12 years ago just graduated from college this spring and judging from the updates I've received, they are doing marvelous things.