Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
Are libraries really supposed to pay for themselves? At some point we have to separate the basic functions that are a part of our society from wasteful spending. Schools don't pay for themselves. I highly doubt that fire departments are very profitable, but it's nice having them around. I'm sure that our society wouldn't fall apart tomorrow if all the libraries closed, but what direction is society headed in when we start doing that.
Move to Detroit. Schools, not so much. Libraries, nope, don't need em'. Have a nice day.
You know that when they get done with all these budget cuts the debt is still going to be there. I just don't understand why they have to go after all the things that took so long to establish and were created for the good of the people to advance our society. Maybe, if all else fails, but why are they starting with the most important things?
Basic functions that are part of our society should, in fact, be able to function with a point of break even mode from the taxes that are paid for their upkeep. The DPL has a dedicated millage that is supposed to support the libraries in the city. The curent budget for the library this year is $51,442,053. A significant chunk of this is salaries and benefits. Perhaps the staff and administration can give back the 6% in total raises they got the past 2 years in order to attempt to reconcile income with expenditures?