Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Yep. All of that chaos, instability and uncertainty will really bode well in drawing parents to send or continue their students in DPS... enrollment will drop further, revenue as well, rinse, repeat cycle... final rinse cycle pending it would appear....
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    The layoff won't be effective until August 30th. That way, we can't collect unemployment. This will mean for the kids uncertainty about next year and who will be teaching them. The district won't get their act together and have teachers in place prior to the middle of August and then, as in the past, that might not happen either....

By contract, the district has to give teachers notification within 60 days of the end of the school year--that's why the pink slips are coming now, even though they won't take effect until the end of August.

Thanks for all the messages of support for the DPS teachers on the board. I know I really appreciate reading them. Like others have stated, I love to teach, I love my kids [[most days) and I feel a real calling to this profession.

But, it's not been fun the last few years wondering if my school will close and if I'll get a pink slip or not. Twice, my school was saved from closing. I don't think we'll survive the cut this time. I've received layoff notices twice in my twelve years in the district and had faith that, logically, I'd be called back by early August--and it happened. I don't know about this year because Robert Bobb is flying by the seat of his pants and even he doesn't really know what will happen come August 29th.

But as I've told the other teachers at my school [[I am our union rep), right now we need to focus on the things we can control: the classes we have in front of us, the quality of our teaching, our grace under fire during this time of chaos in DPS, and putting together our resumes.

I hope to be back at DPS next year, but am prepared to take a job elsewhere, if I can find one. I've got a feeling that most of the people in my age range [[late 30's) are probably thinking the same way--we really don't want to leave these kids, but the time comes when the year-to-year instability of our jobs becomes too much to deal with. It's a sad reality.

After two years on the job, is DPS ultimately that much better with Robert Bobb's financial decisions than it would have been without them [[and him)? I STILL don't have textbooks for all my students, and while it's great that he weeded out the crooks still being paid by the district after they had retired and things of that nature, the lack of textbooks is crime of another kind that the kids are STILL victimized by. Thanks for listening to me vent.

As a person that has worked in or associated with public education for almost twenty years I have to say that one problem is that Administration has always pleaded poverty. Now when it may be true it's kinda hard to take it seriously; ya kinda get burned out on getting beaten over the head and verbally assaulted.