Once again, one of our city council members has landed back in the news, in a not good way. Ms. Watson's claim that she paid the bill the city sent her for property taxes is weak.

What if, the city instead of undercharging her property taxes was overcharging and she was paying the overcharged bill every year for the last ten years and suddenly she discovered that city had been lowering the property tax in her neighborhood for years. Would she just call it a loss and accept the fact that city have been overcharging for years or would she scream bloody murder demanding a refund for 10 years of overpaying? She like me and every other red-blooded American would threaten to burn down the City-County Bldg to get our cash back.

Just like the city would have to refund overpayment, the city would demand 10 years of money that was not paid, regardless if if was their mistake. The city thought it was a vacant lot, the homeowner was suppose to inform them of the mistake. To use an excuse of I paid the bill they sent me is not the message I would want to send to Detroiters when I sit on the City Council.