Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Vox Guest

That's nice that there is funding for bus transportation in that package. It helps to be able to get to the light rail. Also, not everyone is able to live in and around the line, although some may say that would be preferable. Only problem in this proposal is, how the bonds would be paid back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Also, not everyone is able to live in and around the line, although some may say that would be preferable.
    Explain why it would be preferable to not live around the line.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Explain why it would be preferable to not live around the line.
    I didn't say it wasn't preferable, I only said it may not be possible to have everyone live in and around the line. There's only so much land in the area, and not everyone wants to rent and live in an apartment.

I didn't say it wasn't preferable, I only said it may not be possible to have everyone live in and around the line. There's only so much land in the area, and not everyone wants to rent and live in an apartment.
    You said some may say it would be preferable to not live in and around the line. I am asking you why some may say that. Surely you have an answer. What is it?

Bear in mind, there are private homes within a 15-minute walk of Woodward.

Vox Guest

You said some may say it would be preferable to not live in and around the line. I am asking you why some may say that. Surely you have an answer. What is it?

I said:
    Also, not everyone is able to live in and around the line, although some may say that would be preferable.
    I also am fairly aware that not everyone is able to walk that far, either. I'm sure that you are going to be young forever? Some people are disabled, others have breathing and heart problems. I'm sure that those could just go without?

I don't see how what I described you as saying and your original sentence differ much. The sentiment is there that people may not want to live near a rail line. I would like to hear why you think that is so.

I also am fairly aware that not everyone is able to walk that far, either. I'm sure that you are going to be young forever? Some people are disabled, others have breathing and heart problems. I'm sure that those could just go without?
    That doesn't make much sense, Vox. I lived in New York City for 11 years, and I saw plenty of old people walking around just like the rest of us. In fact, if you're disabled, I should think you'd like to be near mass transit, since driving would be such a chore. Frankly, if your breathing or heart problems are such that you cannot stand a 15-minute walk to a light rail stop, you don't need to live near a rail line, you need to be in a hospital.

But, aside from all these diversions about what kind of place you'd live [[which didn't answer the question) and what kind of health you're in [[which didn't answer the question), I am genuinely curious and patiently waiting for you to propose why some people may not want to live near a light rail line. Do you have an answer?

Because many people commute to jobs on the East side, West side, etc. All of the bus lines need improvement, especially in the neighborhoods. Why do you always pick fights on here?

Good news on the bond sale passing. It's good to see that city council actually understands how much we need this.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Because many people commute to jobs on the East side, West side, etc. All of the bus lines need improvement, especially in the neighborhoods. Why do you always pick fights on here?
    Now that's actually a good, defensible reason why it may not be desirable to live near the line, if not a reason why living there would be undesirable. My scrutiny of Vox stems from my suspicion that he's disruptively trolling, but Lowell has asked me to be civil, so I'm trying to be as civil as I can.

But, yes, you're right. Detroit has suffered, traditionally, from a lack of crosstown thoroughfares. In streetcar times, there were some decent crosstown routes. Hopefully, after we get a few radial lines running, we can go for crosstown routes too. The Baker car, for instance, connected Southwest and Hamtramck. Wouldn't that be something? Dinner at El Comal followed by drinks at the Whiskey? Hope springs eternal...

Dummy, when the "collective" arrives, you will be assigned a worker's flat along the designated transit lines. Your house and cars will be confiscated, the house torn down, and the cars junked. All those separate hjouses will be turned into parkland. You will live in your assigned flat, ride the magic choo choo to work, and love living in paradise.

Only the nomenklatura like Detroit Nerd will be assigned luxury penthouses along the river.