Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I don't understand how the math works--where do the charters get the money to operate the buildings, pay the leases, and also run a school? Don't the charters start out with less money per student than the DPS does?

Since I don't think the DPS should exist, I can hardly object to closing down more schools, but I don't see how all these schools can be operated unless there is some magic source of money someplace [[foundations?) for the charters. My assumption would be that only some of the schools would end up being operated.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't understand how the math works--where do the charters get the money to operate the buildings, pay the leases, and also run a school? Don't the charters start out with less money per student than the DPS does?
    Why is DPS more expensive than running a Charter?

I will give you a hint: The word has six letters and it starts with a U and ends in a S.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

I will give you a hint: The word has six letters and it starts with a U and ends in a S.
    I have come to the conclusion that people who trash unions [[in particular the teachers) are just jealous. Every worker should have the same kind of pay and benefits that teachers have. It's like if I can't have it know one should.

It was not teachers [[most teachers) who ruined DPS it was years of bad administration, but they won't be punished teachers will.

Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that people who trash unions [[in particular the teachers) are just jealous. Every worker should have the same kind of pay and benefits that teachers have. It's like if I can't have it know one should.
    If my neighbor has the nicest fence on my street I might be jealous. If my fence is falling apart and my neighbor has the nicest fence in my neighborhood and I'm paying for it I'm pissed.

These so-called jealous people you are talking about are the ones paying for their salaries/benefits.
    I don't know if you noticed, but a lot of these jealous people are in a world of hurt in this lousy economy.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    If my neighbor has the nicest fence on my street I might be jealous. If my fence is falling apart and my neighbor has the nicest fence in my neighborhood and I'm paying for it I'm pissed.

These so-called jealous people you are talking about are the ones paying for their salaries/benefits.
    I don't know if you noticed, but a lot of these jealous people are in a world of hurt in this lousy economy.
    It's not just a "lousy economy" in the sense of a cyclical downturn. Our economy is moving over time toward a model where almost nobody has a good job with benefits, and a very small number of people control the overwhelming majority of the wealth. That's not the inevitable result of some unstoppable natural force, that's big business and rich people aggressively lobbying for policies that create that sort of system. Union labor isn't the enemy here. If we want better jobs and better benefits, we need to use the democratic process to reverse the corporatist government policies of the last 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    It's not just a "lousy economy" in the sense of a cyclical downturn. Our economy is moving over time toward a model where almost nobody has a good job with benefits, and a very small number of people control the overwhelming majority of the wealth. That's not the inevitable result of some unstoppable natural force...
    In fact, it's quite unnatural. Among wildlife it's common to find predators exploiting individual prey but rare to find predators exploiting wide swathes of prey. The only thing that comes immediately to mind is whales feeding on krill but even that's not predation within one species.

Interesting point. I hear that there is a higher turn over in the charters as well. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. For certain there is BIG MONEY in Charter education, in education period. It's not like the end of DPS mean that moneys will not be spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post

It was not teachers [[most teachers) who ruined DPS it was years of bad administration, but they won't be punished teachers will.

Is that word Uranus?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Is that word Uranus?
    LMAO!

That would make a good thread -- word guessing games.

DetroitPole Guest

Wow, you really have absolutely nothing of value to add, do you?

I was scrolling down and saw your user name before I saw your post, and thought to myself, "well either lincoln is an expert on charter school funding or he's going to just spout some right-wing diatribe."

And we all know how that went down.

Thank you to Jimaz for posting that informative link to wiki. Some of us are actually interested in learning new things, not just tying whatever obscure matter at hand to our agenda.

lincoln, since you're a stickler for facts and accuracy and all, maybe you can provide a link to support your adorable, cute, insightful post. The wiki paragraph didn't say anything about unions.

Open a book. Do something. Learn something. Be able to speak on something, for the love of God.

That's odd, I thought accredited had more than six letters, started with an A and ended with a D. As in accredited teachers. Most charter schools have an advantage of being very selective with their student body. Even then there test scores aren't above the DP Schools, therefore, it will be interesting to see if the Charter Schools will accept all of the same students that DPS does and how well will they perform if they do.

Many of the better and larger charters are funded thru various foundations [[and they receive a certain level of public funding). There's big money to be made in charter education.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post

Since I don't think the DPS should exist, I can hardly object to closing down more schools, but I don't see how all these schools can be operated unless there is some magic source of money someplace [[foundations?) for the charters. My assumption would be that only some of the schools would end up being operated.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-13-11 at 06:36 AM.