Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The general rule about college students voting has always been that students attending in-state colleges have the right to vote in that state. Their specific county or precinct may depend on where they lived prior to college. Students attending out of state colleges have generally not been allowed to vote in the state where the college is located as they are not considered permanent residents of that state. Instead, they retain their right to vote in their home state. Absentee ballots are always available for voters who away from their voting location on election day.

Some states may have specifically changed the gene

No law can negate a college student's right to vote and for the reporter to imply otherwise is irresponsible.
Again, that's not true. I voted in Ann Arbor in the late 1990s, even though the University considered me an "out-of-state" student. Residency for tuition-paying purposes has nothing to do with residency concerning a driver's license, paying taxes, or voting. I did all three, despite the University considering me a "resident" of Ohio.

As such, these are the voting requirements in Michigan, per the Secretary of State:
  • A U.S. citizen
  • At least 18 years old by Election Day
  • A resident of Michigan
  • A resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...669---,00.html