Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

"You have a choice of whether you are willing to be around your people or go 180 degrees in the other direction," she says. "To the higher income black people, if you don't want to love and help your lower-income black brethren, why would you expect white people to? If you can't do it, no one in society can do it. You can try to flee or you can be part of the solution."

I love it when someone like this college teacher, who more than likely hasn't been to the area in question is critical of someone who decides to move.

How exactly are they going to help their lower-income black brethren? Go over to their neighbor and tell them that they need to take better care of their house? Maybe tell them to bring their kids in the house when the streetlights go on?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I love it when someone like this college teacher, who more than likely hasn't been to the area in question is critical of someone who decides to move.

How exactly are they going to help their lower-income black brethren? Go over to their neighbor and tell them that they need to take better care of their house? Maybe tell them to bring their kids in the house when the streetlights go on?
    Thank you!!!! I'm so glad that someone has penetrated this indictment of the black upper and middle classes. Not only do we have to work our you-know-whats off, we are OBLIGATED to help uplift the underclass, too. Never mind that many of us retain our membership in mixed-income, inner city churches. Never mind that many of us have poorer and ne'er-do-well relatives on our dime -- you HATE to support them, but you don't want to see relatives who are minor children on the street.

Then, when I choose volunteer organizations, and I choose those that don't have anything to do with my work [[that is, no children or teens) I am somehow contributing to the problem. Used to care about being labeled, but now, I couldn't care less. I am trying to survive in this world, and I cannot survive by saving all of black America. I help those in my sphere to the degree that I can but so often YOUR LIFESTYLE IS A CHOICE. There are so many people whose parents are middle class or working class with decent values, and their children intentionally chose a lazy, trifling lifestyle. There are also poor people with dignity in the city -- they shouldn't be forced to live around others who don't give a d*mn.

I love some of my relatives, but they CANNOT live with me. Others can't even visit.

[[These are the kinds of conversations that the black middle class has among ourselves when others aren't around. In mixed company, we will defend our idiot relatives to the very end. I hope that stops. We need to get rid of all incentives to be "ghetto." Many of us have worked our rear ends off to get half as far as those from other groups -- we don't need this extra stress and burden.)
    Last edited by English; February-28-11 at 11:32 AM.