Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
In the early part of the 1900s, 13 was considered bad luck so it was rare to see a 13th floor or unit #13. I heard that if you go to Chinatown or China, you won't see a 4th floor or an apartment with 4 in it for the same reason.
Which is why none of the concourses at Metro have a gate 13. I've encountered hotels and office buildings in Japan and Korea that have neither a fourth floor nor a 13th floor, to accommodate the superstitions of both Asians and Americans [[do any European countries have the same superstition about 13?). Also, it's considered really poor form in parts of Asia [[for sure Japan, but also China and Korea, I believe - but I'm willing to be corrected by someone who knows more) to give someone a gift that's a set of four of something [[e.g., glassware).

Interestingly, despite the number of flights from Metro to Japan, Korea, and China [[seven at present), and the large number of passengers from these countries who pass through, every concourse has a gate 4.

The East Asian prejudice against 4 is because at least in some languages/dialects the word for "four" [[shi) is the same as the word for "death". One reason I've heard for the Western prejudice against 13 is because there were 13 present at the Last Supper [[the 12 disciples plus Jesus). Are there any other explanations running around out there?