Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Wikipedia still tells of a restoration to flying status. Currently there are two examples flying in the world, one in Canada and one in ther UK. I've seen it personally in 1995 when it flew over our city in formation with a B17. No doubt I will never see that again... This was on the 5th of May 1995, our national liberation day. I was invited to join a convoy of WWII vehicles. My ride was a Willys Overland Jeep with [[Jesus wept...) Austrian numberplates!! Well, the lads driving it were very nice chaps and you cannot hold them responsible for "Der Anschluss".

I have some nice pictures of the convoy with all that Detroit rolling stock. I you like I could scan a few.

Back on topic.
    Currently there are 17 conplete Lancasters in the world and several incomplete ones like cockpit only or fuselage.

About the Windsor one:
    Lancaster Mk 10P FM212 was withdrawn from RCAF service in 1962 and placed in storage. The city of Windsor, Ontario purchased the aircraft for use as a memorial and mounted it on a pedestal in Jackson Park in 1965. It was damaged by weather and poor maintenance and replaced by Spitfire and Hurricane replicas on 26 May 2005. Currently being restored by the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association, this Lancaster has been renamed "Bad Penny" to commemorate the first RAF Avro Lancaster into Holland during Operation Manna to save the Dutch from starvation in the closing days of World War II, 29 April 1945.[8] On 29 April 2007 [[to coincide with the 62nd anniversary of Operation Manna), FM212 was removed from storage in Jackson Park and towed to the Sears parking lot of Devonshire Mall where it was on display and open for tours through the aircraft. On 13 May 2007, FM212 was towed from Devonshire Mall to Windsor Airport where it is on display and undergoing extensive restoration to return the aircraft back to a flight worthy status over the next few years.
    A second British Lancaster is also subject of a restoration to flying status.

Some time ago I started the a topic with the very same question.

Where's that bomber?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-11-11 at 01:06 PM.