Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

^^^Well, I can see where Bing's priorities are. Is he living there yet?

In Rosedale Park. the dues paid to our neighborhood Rosedale Park Improvement Association [[RPIA) pays for street-plowing. Our streets were cleared by 11 a.m. yesterday morning. The contractor, Greener Still, a local business, does a great job clearing the streets in Rosedale Park, North Rosedale and Grandmont. This is one of the benefits of living in neighborhood with an active community association.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    In Rosedale Park. the dues paid to our neighborhood Rosedale Park Improvement Association [[RPIA) pays for street-plowing. Our streets were cleared by 11 a.m. yesterday morning. The contractor, Greener Still, a local business, does a great job clearing the streets in Rosedale Park, North Rosedale and Grandmont. This is one of the benefits of living in neighborhood with an active community association.
    My brother has lived in Rosedale Park for over 25 years and I'm sure he would agree with you.

I wasn't expecting it, but I heard some large vehicles rumbling by this morning on my street a little northeast of 7 & Hayes and when I glanced out a little later it appeared my street had been plowed. Now I have to go out and shovel the the foot of the drive apron clear again.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    My unsustainable suburb plowed my residential street at 10:30 yesterday morning, then they plowed my sidewalk around 2:00 PM, then they plowed the alleys around 4:00 PM. Then for some reason, they plowed the sidewalks again about an hour ago.
    Touche! well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Detroit can't afford to buy new police cars or EMS squads or fire engines and the residents want their streets plowed???
    FWIW, during the big snow storm in late December, New York's sanitation guys got into some hot water for allegedly throttling their efforts as part of some kind of union action, since the brilliant accomplishment was that ambulances could not get through to victims of heart attacks and the like, leaving the victims dead before the EMT's belatedly arrived on account of needing to run through deep snow for blocks at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I can see the Manoogian Mansion from my living room windows....I saw a plow truck at least three times yesterday on Dwight Street..today the street is free of all snow and ice.
    Could be part of the city's obligation to perform maintenance on the joint.

I haven't seen a snow plow ANYWHERE out here in Las Vegas. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I haven't seen a snow plow ANYWHERE out here in Las Vegas. What am I missing?
    Absolutely Nothing!!!

lincoln8740 Guest

My unsustainable suburb plowed my street yesterday at 7 AM.

Our street in warren was plowed this am, when we lived in Eastpoine it was 3-4 days after a storm...no big deal

DetroitDad Guest

Side streets still unplowed at families and friends homes out in Livonia.

DetroitDad Guest

Side streets in Midtown Detroit plowed last night, apparently before Warren and Livonia. How about that!?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Side streets in Midtown Detroit plowed last night, apparently before Warren and Livonia. How about that!?
    Reported on another forum yesterday:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Was planning to shovel out the renovation project, but aside from MLK/ Mack and Woodward, nothing much has been plowed in Midtown. I could feel the car plowing the road, and the ruts were fierce, so we returned home. I wasn't getting stuck. This is probably the first time in 12 years that even Second and Third haven't been touched this late in the game. A giant, overflowing salt truck has been idling on Second for about an hour now, though.

You'd think with this much advance notice, Detroit might have gotten its act together, but, you know, that's just how it would work in a functioning city. One of the papers reports that Detroit hopes to be on top of things by tomorrow afternoon -- What is this, an election or something?! -- but part of me wonders if the city just won't call it a week and resume normal function Monday. I mean, it's only three or four days away.

Of course the whole reason the suburbs plow their streets is because they are auto-centric. The advantage of living in a city is that you can walk or take mass transportation for all your needs. Why all the complaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Only pussies live on plowed streets. I remember the ice ruts of the winters of '76-'77 and those of the early '80s. Part of the fun of unplowed streets was getting some "confirmed kills," that is, dinette chairs and such put out to mark shoveled out revetments to park cars in. If I spotted some dinette chairs back then, I would steer out of the ruts and go, "Ramming speed!" And I might add, I wasn't a teenage driver then.
    Dude, I so remember this! It also took a lot of skill to get up out of the ruts and into the driveway. Too slow and you couldn't get out of the ruts. Too fast and you'd slide across the driveway and into the snowbank. Huge fun!

DetroitDad Guest

Heh, BS. If that were true, I wouldn't have gotten my little compact down Garfield [[a dead side street) or 2nd Street near Cass Park. Plowed they are, scraped they are not. Livonia has not even plowed many in the Coventry Gardens or Old Rosedale subdivisions, other than school bus routes.

Side streets are seldom scraped in any of the places mentioned. If they are, your community is wasting money, or someone on your street owns a snow plow.

What I must fault Detroit on is it's total lack of snow sweeping around bus stands and corner crossings, as well as enforce sidewalk maintenance and fines on non-compliant property owners. I almost messed up my new swede shoes walking to get lunch today. They are nice shoes.

Reported on another forum yesterday:

I live in Warren. My street was plowed the afternoon of the storm.

lilpup Guest

Ann Arbor finished plowing streets just this morning and doesn't do sidewalks.

It seems Detroit started plowing in correspondence with some event or upcoming event - to get the Super Bowl or better impress for the auto show or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I live in Warren. My street was plowed the afternoon of the storm.
    Just returned home from a friend who lives at 9 Mile and Van Dyke. Their street was not plowed, and we helped a neighbor get his car unstuck from in front of his house.

My unsustainable suburb plowed my residential street at 10:30 yesterday morning, then they plowed my sidewalk around 2:00 PM, then they plowed the alleys around 4:00 PM. Then for some reason, they plowed the sidewalks again about an hour ago.
    Was it your city or your association that plowed the sidewalk. I highly doubt the city did and seeing how you are mister higher up on your association I suspect that you [[a) live in a condo or [[b) live in a sub with an association. In either case I'm willing to bet your association took care of the sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Heh, BS. If that were true, I wouldn't have gotten my little compact down Garfield [[a dead side street) or 2nd Street near Cass Park. Plowed they are, scraped they are not. Livonia has not even plowed many in the Coventry Gardens or Old Rosedale subdivisions, other than school bus routes.

Side streets are seldom scraped in any of the places mentioned. If they are, your community is wasting money, or someone on your street owns a snow plow.

What I must fault Detroit on is it's total lack of snow sweeping around bus stands and corner crossings, as well as enforce sidewalk maintenance and fines on non-compliant property owners. I almost messed up my new swede shoes walking to get lunch today. They are nice shoes.

Your facts don't count if they contradict what Mikey wants to believe.

My unsustainable suburb ...
    Mmh-mmh, lemonade snow cone!
    Last edited by fryar; February-03-11 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Yuck!

Actually if i remember right all the grosse pointes clean the sidewalks for the residents.

As for plowing the streets in Detroit they only make one pass down the middle of the street they do not plow curb to curb. Mine was cleaned curb to curb 3 times during and after the storm......... but then again I own my own snowplow

We attended the Fisher Theatre tonight [[pretheatre dinner at Cuisine) and 2nd Blvd, Third, Lothrop, Milwaukee etc. had not been cleaned...frankly I was amazed how bad things were...based on the New Center, I hate to think what the neighborhoods must be like.

Me neither - it's been over 60 years for me - and my dad [[who is 92) says they never plowed side streets during his lifetime either. Why is it such a "surprise" to people? During my whole life, I remember people on side streets always having to help each other out, push cars, maneuver down the two ruts in the middle of the street, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast