Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
http://freep.com/article/20090518/NE...a+game-changer

This is great news! It's not nearly enough, but it's definitely a great start and a fantastic turnaround from the Bush administration. I understand this puts another strain on the auto industry,....
It takes a lot of courage to make a statement like that in Detroit [[get ready to get bashed by those who belong to the auto industry) but I agree with you. I know people who whine and moan about how this sort of thing just further clobbers the auto industry and makes it harder for them to succeed...but frankly, it's the only way to spur improvements, whether gas mileage or safety or anything. If it weren't for CAFE we would still be getting 12 miles per gallon like we did in '73, and if it weren't for Ralph Nader auto fatalities would probably be ten times what they are today.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and cry and whine as they might, when the auto manufacturers are given mandates, they can and do manage to achieve previously unbelievable improvements. Consumer demand, on the other hand, ensures that it won't be done simply by building motorized egg carts.

It might take some executive overtime meetings and hard work, to be sure. But that's why they're paid the big bucks.