Patrick,
As a person who was going to go join the US Army the second time around even though I am Canadian [[and first joined up in 1991); I can tell you why I was going to serve another country.

It had nothing to do with serving another country and instead was about serving for a particular cause. In my case I thought the war in Afghanistan was and still is justified. I believe people have a right to choose their way off life without the threat of violence hanging on their every move. I beleive people have a right to education without the threat of violence hanging over them. To me, education erases racism, sexism and allows people to combat injustices in the world.

I would have served that purpose in the US Army. But I did feel a little apprehensive in serving another country with another country's flag on my arm. However since Canada was there [[and still is for the time being) I opted for Canada's army [[only to be sold out).

I think another reason people wish to serve another country is for the opportunity; career-wise in the armed forces or the ability to learn a new trade. Some countries don't have that luxury and in many cases the armed forces may be full in any one particular career choice. Therefore the candidate seeks those opportunities elsewhere.

I don't think people want to serve another country [[unless they have a relation to that nation), I believe people choose their opportunities.