[quote=mam2009;214048]Just for clarification...Unless I'm mistaken [[perhaps, MsChievous can correct me if I am), changing the Charter to eliminate the office wouldn't effect the current Ombudsman because she was appointed to a ten year term in 2005. [[I suppose the Charter Commission could stipulate an effective date but I think it makes more sense that IF the position were to be eliminated from the charter, that would be stipulated that it occur at the end of the current Ombudsman's term) JMO

MsC: Is it even possible for the Charter Commission to write language that would give the Mayor & Council the ability to eliminate the Office prior to the end of the current Ombudsman's term in 2015? Or would the City be required legally to honor the current Charter language?

[[That's likely a question for a legal mind [[& I will ask it) but we have tried to be very careful in our early deliberations and discussions, constantly reminding the public of the need to be in compliance with current law, constitution, etc. Our general counsel continues to discourage commissioners from knowingly adding language that would be in violation of the charter). There's no point in creating a legal challenge if we don't need to. Again, JMO