Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
Wake up, Detroit. Hah! The imports are back to eat your lunch!
Think of this as an evolving urban-art amusement park or a growing pile of junk if you think street art/lowbrow is bunk. [[Does bunk = $180,000 being throw over here to the midwest because a gaggle of lowbrow-art all stars donated work to be auctioned a year ago October to celebrate the 15-year anniversary of an art/culture mag in SF?)
Lt. Dan, I can appreciate your cynicism.

Usually, when someone self-indulgently paints an abandoned building, their work is derided as graffiti. I guess if you are from New York or San Francisco and backed by serious dollars, then you can call yourself an artist when you paint on an abandoned building.

Couldn't that money have been used in a better way? The sites on which those houses sit will remain brown fields for some time to come. With the time, energy and money expended on this project, how many homes in that neighborhood could have been rehabbed? Though I'm glad those artists enjoyed a nice little vacation in Detroit painting on our blank canvas of a city to the tune of $180,000, I would have been more edified to see that money given to Detroiters to build or maintain a useful structure.