As far as I know, richie, there are no restrictions against foreigners or out-state property owners renting their properties...it is actually the NORM here in the city.

I know people who live here who've rented out their properties and had them gutted and destroyed, so you'd do much better with at least a local active property manager with handyperson skills to save on maintenance and upkeep...and actively babysit the property or properties.

The neighborhoods are a crapshoot...there are some killer-cool areas and some obvious bad ones...and it would take more than a post or four on an anonymous internet forum to get trustworthy information.

I could put you in touch with ONE very connected individual who is quite handy AND active in the community that would likely get you the best return, because of the steady stream of college students likely to rent your homes. She posts on this board, too, as JeanofArc.

She rents the rooms of HER beautiful, old house...and always has her finger on the pulse of the Woodbridge community, immediately west of Wayne State University. She would easily be able to manage North Corktown houses for you, too.

Other than that, I wish you good luck. If you choose to visit town for a tour, I'd be happy to assist in whatever legal and ethical way you require.

Cheers