Well, if you get a shut-off notice and you call to try to get it resolved, they transfer the call -- without you knowing -- to a debt resolution place called GreenPath. I worked at GP for a few months and I hated the DTE referrals. DTE made some deal with GreenPath & refers its clients to GP since obviously people who don't pay their utilities MUST have some mega financial problems [[that is what I was told when I asked why I had to badger these poor people about their finances). What they try to do is get the person who owes DTE to get on one of their "debt management plans" and get on track. They don't tell you that the plan could run up to $50 per month, which for all that, you could be sending that $50 to DTE & get your power on.

I thought it was horrible and refused to nag poor people who had just received a shutoff notice. There is help if you get a shut off notice - call the LIHEAP program [[1-800-292-5650). It is especially helpful if you are elderly, have kids or disabled. Pls share it with anyone who might need it this winter!