Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I was a little surprised by that statement about downtown as well, but maybe it's a question of what is meant by "greater downtown." Downtown always struck me as the kind of place you would get better services.

When English says things were bad during the Bush Sr./Clinton recession, were they as bad as now? My suspicion would have been that crime is worse now, as urban flight has continued and so on.

And yes, I plan on having a closer look at Corktown, one hears many good things about it on here [[even when one is only lurking for an extended period of time).

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    When English says things were bad during the Bush Sr./Clinton recession, were they as bad as now? My suspicion would have been that crime is worse now, as urban flight has continued and so on.
    Per capita violent crime was worse, but there were more people living in the city back then. I've lived in both Detroits, and the violent crime was worse back then. My guess would be that property crime is absolutely higher nowadays, but no one can tell me that the murder and attempted murder rate today is anything like the late 80s and early 90s. The crack years had to be lived through to be believed.

I'm having trouble finding stats at my fingertips, but here's one report:

"In Detroit, the crime rate tends to track closely with the unemployment rate. This can be seen when analyzing robbery and homicide rates over time. *One exception,however, is the homicide rate during the crack cocaine epidemic years, 1984-1990. The robbery rate shows a strong correspondence to the unemployment rate. The robbery rate usually increases the year following an increase in unemployment. The murder rate also trends with unemployment, but not as closely."

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...PEI4rcqfcxiuIw

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if it's 1980 or 1990 or 2000 or 2010 in Detroit. The crime rate is unacceptable. And it ought to be addressed.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if it's 1980 or 1990 or 2000 or 2010 in Detroit. The crime rate is unacceptable. And it ought to be addressed.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's all I was saying.