Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Battle of the Greasy Grass

Buying and holding that flag was a great investment for the DIA. I'm glad they sold it. As a piece of history, it does not really fit within the Collection. Sure, they could stick it in the Native American Collection, then spend all their time talking about a white man, Custer, not the Native Americans.

Five years ago, I and a couple of dozen other Metro Detroiters spent some time at the DIA reworking the way they present the collections. The part I worked on was the ethnic collections, African, Asian, Middle Eastern and Native American. Collectively, we all recognized that the pieces in these collections were more than artistic creations, they represented pieces of the spirit of the people who created them, the way of life, and more. We worked out display techniques that would showcase the art AND its place in the society. I really liked that. But Custer's battle flag had no place in our society. NONE. It was something brought to represent our destruction, so I would seriously hate having it displayed in our collection.

It belongs where it can represent the spirits of those men who fought and died with Custer. Always remember, he was not by himself on that battlefield, and those others deserve more than respect for their brave fight. They were fighting for this country just as those in Iraq and Afghanistan are fighting today. Sometimes the country has very bad judgment about how to kill its young men.

This is a list of Custer's battles. He was 35 when he let his hubris lead him into battle with the greatest war chief ever.

1861: Graduated from U.S. Military Acadamy at West Point

1861-1865
    : American Civil War
    First Battle of Bull Run Peninsula Campaign
    Battle of Antietam
    Battle of Chancellorsville
    Gettysburg Campaign
    Battle of Gettysburg
    Overland Campaign
    Battle of the Wilderness
    Battle of Yellow Tavern
    Battle of Trevilian Station
    Valley Campaigns of 1864
    Siege of Petersburg
    Indian Wars:
    Battle of the Washita
    Battle of the Little Bighorn

Battle of the Washita - 1868 - Custer and his troops rode down on and annihilated the village of Black Kettle, who was in the process of making peace, and had no intentions.of fighting. He had just returned from a meeting with General Hazen to secure assurance of peace. Despite his flying an American flag, and raising a white flag beside it, the troops poured in and overran the village, killing more than 100 men, women and children. Eight years later, Custer would pay for this with his life.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-12-10 at 09:37 AM.