Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Well, I'm glad to see that dickface post after my last has since been removed.

I think 1.5M would be a good number for Detroit. Not tooooooo overcrowded for it's size, but as more and more trickle in setting up shops to fill all those old storefronts/skyscrapers downtown, and all the way along the mains leading out of the core and into the neighbourhoods, bringing jobs back into the city, no matter how small [[mom n pop type stuff), the city population that had stayed and just been morally devestated over the years will have a hopful new outlook. For most, it would be exactly what they were waiting for and they'd run with it. Alot has changed [[and still needs changing) since Detroit fell, and people of all races are perfectly capable of starting and maintaining a buisness, and doing it with incredible success. Not to say they wern't before, they were just never given the oppertunity. Having store after store, occupied by all peoples would go a long way in calming the intense race issue in Detroit. Will it end it? No......those folks will always be out there regardless of race. But until everyone starts working and spending time together, and realizing noone is any different than anyone else, it'll never happen.

I would bet Detroit would turn out just like Toronto.

johnny1954, why not just leave the industrial zones for industry? We'll need that too, people just got to quit all this NIMBY crap and we'll move forward. I don't know why in the 20's it was a selling point to be close to the factory but not any longer. The residential areas of Detroit could handle the infill. Having nice mixtures of single family homes and apartment buildings filling in the areas that used to be just that.

Encourage existing neighbourhoods to work together to clean it up, watch out for eachother and drive the crime out. We all know at least that can happen. Even having a nicely painted home and manicured lawn can inspire the people nextdoor to do the same. And then another and another, eventually noone wants to be the one on the block who's home is in tatters. it spreads from block to block and before you know it, Detroit is looking pretty good to people who have always wanted to live here
    And as for the violence, well.........I suppose you have to start somewhere. I would think alot of it is sensless, but alot of it is just desperation, or abandonment of hope. Bring them jobs so they don't have to sling drugs around anymore. Until there's a very real glimmer of hope, there's no reason for them to stop. And if those individuals choose to continue living the way they do, well.....you now have a population that is sick of it [[I know you already are), that won't stand for it being a daily part of life undoing everything they are striving to change. It just won't be accepted as commonplace anymore. You also will have more money for a functioning Police department who will do something about it. If they don't catch them, they can Darwin themselves out of existance.

Did any of that make sense? lol
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; December-05-10 at 01:00 AM.