Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

My husband's $35/hr job went overseas in early 2003. In the years since then, he has yet to find a job paying half that wage; I think the most per hour he's earned was $12.75. That job went away, too; as did the $11.50/hr and $10/hr jobs. None of them offered benefits aside from the wage [[whereas the $35/hr position had benefits, retirement, paid vacation and sick time).

After 9+ months of being unemployed in 2010, meantime doing all the 'right' things to chase down job leads and interviews, he's working again, now earning $9.50/hr for 24 to 48 hours per week depending on how many days they schedule him. He claims unemployment when he does not get 40 hours/week, and by golly, he gets a small UIA check about every other week. IMO he's earned it, working as long and hard as he does for such minimal pay.

Not much farther to fall in the way of income for him. I hope against hope for another unemployment extension because it is still helping us make ends meet. When someone with a 30-year career in a field that went offshore, and now almost a decade of manufacturing experience, has to work for just over minimum wage and still try to cover everyday expenses... I don't know what else he can do. What else WE can do.

Costs sure aren't going down the way pay seems to keep going. It may not be up to the government to continue helping, but businesses and banks have made no modifications that even so much as acknowledge the demographic that includes my husband [[and by association, me).

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    My husband's $35/hr job went overseas in early 2003. In the years since then, he has yet to find a job paying half that wage; I think the most per hour he's earned was $12.75. That job went away, too; as did the $11.50/hr and $10/hr jobs. None of them offered benefits aside from the wage [[whereas the $35/hr position had benefits, retirement, paid vacation and sick time).

After 9+ months of being unemployed in 2010, meantime doing all the 'right' things to chase down job leads and interviews, he's working again, now earning $9.50/hr for 24 to 48 hours per week depending on how many days they schedule him. He claims unemployment when he does not get 40 hours/week, and by golly, he gets a small UIA check about every other week. IMO he's earned it, working as long and hard as he does for such minimal pay.

Not much farther to fall in the way of income for him. I hope against hope for another unemployment extension because it is still helping us make ends meet. When someone with a 30-year career in a field that went offshore, and now almost a decade of manufacturing experience, has to work for just over minimum wage and still try to cover everyday expenses... I don't know what else he can do. What else WE can do.

Costs sure aren't going down the way pay seems to keep going. It may not be up to the government to continue helping, but businesses and banks have made no modifications that even so much as acknowledge the demographic that includes my husband [[and by association, me).
    Corn.Bot,for whatever it's worth, bless you&your husband! I know that doesn't help with bills and expenses but your post sounds very sincere and touching to me. You two hang in there&things will work out just fine in the end! This won't last forever.