Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

3) I don't know what "Copper Canyon" you grew up in, but the one I did on the far east side [[near St. John Hospital) was always a quite nice neighborhood. If you had a minor problem with others, you either called 911 or took care of it yourself.
    The one I knew was s/o Schoolcraft, e/o Telegraph

Good points, F.

Does anyone know if the 15-point bonus ADDED to the competency tests for residents is in place right now? I heard talk of it during the discussions at the Charter Review Commission meeting today, and it kinda shocked me.

It may be 15-points added to the hiring process analysis, pushing residents higher on the priority hiring list, I was too flummoxed to follow up on it there.

I WOULD support Mayor Bing's efforts to this regard, but ONLY if the benefits are delivered to someone who chooses to live in one of the areas that are targeted for his city condensation plan. I keep forgetting the name they are using for it.

There is a w-i-d-e gulf between forcing someone to do a thing, and giving them incentive which they choose to accept.

Cheers, still chewing on the strongly positive stuff I heard about Chief Godbee today. There is SO much positive stuff going on with and around the Charter Review process...but that is another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Really? See.....I was wrong lol

Is it because the Officer to cruiser numbers work out just so? Or would it be more of a Lt's and Sgt's etc, only kind of thing?
    Not sure, but in a short walk from my house, I can see half a dozen cruisers parked in various driveways from different jurisdictions. As I recall, I saw it in Virginia as well.

When I was a cop we all had take home cars. Worked wonders on crime in a neighborhood, saved money on maintenance because the car stayed with the same cop all the time. We were encouraged to use them on personal business in the city because the public thought more cars were on the road. We were also required to respond to major emergencies if out in the car.

Even though we were a 500+ man department we were all required to live within the city limits. New hires had to within a year.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    3) I don't know what "Copper Canyon" you grew up in, but the one I did on the far east side [[near St. John Hospital) was always a quite nice neighborhood. If you had a minor problem with others, you either called 911 or took care of it yourself. Why would you want to bother off duty police or fire men if you had a problem... I'm sure they didn't want to be bothered off duty. And your "retribution" comments... I don't ever remember anyone in our neighborhood worried about retribution... it wasn't exactly a "don't snitch" attitude in our neighborhood. And it was peaceful and quite....
    My bad, I meant to say "retaliation"...and if people in your neighborhood were not afraid of having windows broken, paint thrown on your home or garage, car windows broken out...or worse, then I assume your neighborhood wasn't as bad as mine.

A DPD officer used to own a small house across the street from me. He was divorced. His ex-wife would not allow his daughters to stay there, because would be alone while dad was at work [[they have to week-ends you know). Of course the neighbors "felt" safer with him there - many of them came running over at all hours screaming that they were being abused, or that gang kids were terrorizing them. His answer was always the right answer: call 911. How were they actually safer?

I ask you - what is Mayor Bing thinking when he states that neighborghoods are safer when cops live in them? Safer for who first of all? And then, is he thinking that an off-duty cop shoul;d get involved in family or neighborhood disputes? Great way to get shot off the radio! Or have your kids be the ones paid back!

As fnemecek says, bringing up residency is a distraction technique. But it also demonizes cops and firemen who don't live in the City - the sub-text becomes that they are to blame for all that's wrong! I note that Fire Commissioner Mack recently blamed the EMS drivers for his department's poor response times [[not the minimal and broken-down equipment the City supplies) by saying that they don't live in the City and therefore don't know the neighborhoods. I do live in Detroit and I would be hard-pressed to get around on the northwest side. But in Mack's mind, EMS drivers will possess automatic GPS if they merely live in the City!

I like the idea of cops and firefighters having to live in the communities they serve. Just like the city council living in the communities they serve. Ha! Ward system now!!! Gannon I hope this is something the commission is considering.

Hamtown,

Council-by-district was approved by 72% of those who showed up for the referendum, so it is the law of Detroit now. [[much to some bitter folks' chagrin, apparently)

We are trying to insure it cannot devolve into the fiefdoms apparent in Chicago's system...at least...and cannot become a tool for the dismantling and selling off of the city...or a weapon of gentrification against those too poor to defend themselves.

PLUS, there are many involved with the process who are trying to keep anyone like Kwhyme from taking the reigns and sending the city closer to the cliff again.

Again, residency is a GOOD thing for public workers...and great for a functioning city. Period.

We aim to make Detroit functional again, and SOON.

Those who choose to live anywhere else are not demonized...that is a straw argument which is not held true in reality. Do not amplify the negatives, it makes you look silly.

Please try again.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; November-08-10 at 10:37 AM.

I was on the job in Detroit, lived in Detroit had my house broke into, the garage broke into, my truck stolen off the street, and they attempted to steal my car. This all while i was dealing with my drug infested neighbor who lived across the street from me. Now you wonder why i moved from Detroit? It cost me more money in buying insurance then i ever expected. And yes i lived in Detroit for 34 years, so i know my Detroit.

Buy American Guest

I'd like to know if Bing intends to ask employees from ALL departments to move back into the City of Detroit and offer them incentives as well. Police and Fire weren't the only ones to leave Detroit when residency was ruled unconstitutional. Purchasing, Housing, Public Lighting, City Clerk, Planning Department, and the hundreds of other departments in the City County Building and throughout Detroit would be involved.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer December 19, 2009:

In a news conference, [[Philadelphia) Mayor Nutter lamented the arbitration panel's decision.
    "I believe there is immense value in having police officers live in the city where they work. They better understand their fellow residents, and their very presence in neighborhoods sustains a safer quality of life," he said.
    At the same time, Nutter noted that of the 20 largest U.S. cities, only Chicago and Milwaukee now also require officers to live within city limits."

Let's not forget the public school teachers who have always been allowed to live outside of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    Let's not forget the public school teachers who have always been allowed to live outside of the city.
    The city government does not manage DPS.

Personally, I believe ALL city employees should be required to live in the city. I would be interested in seeing how many employees of the smaller cities in metro Detroit live outside of those cities' limits.

Residency revocation was legislated by Michigan law. Don't think any community in State can require it.

Gannon: How are you guys who are rewriting the city charter going to make Detroit "functional" again, as you wrote? I'd love to see it, but can't imagine it without a lot more revenue coming in. Like massive amounts of revenue.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Hamtown,

Council-by-district was approved by 72% of those who showed up for the referendum, so it is the law of Detroit now. [[much to some bitter folks' chagrin, apparently)

We are trying to insure it cannot devolve into the fiefdoms apparent in Chicago's system...at least...and cannot become a tool for the dismantling and selling off of the city...or a weapon of gentrification against those too poor to defend themselves.

PLUS, there are many involved with the process who are trying to keep anyone like Kwhyme from taking the reigns and sending the city closer to the cliff again.

Again, residency is a GOOD thing for public workers...and great for a functioning city. Period.

We aim to make Detroit functional again, and SOON.

Those who choose to live anywhere else are not demonized...that is a straw argument which is not held true in reality. Do not amplify the negatives, it makes you look silly.

Please try again.

Cheers!
    You say WE as if you are either
    1) Royalty, or
    2) Actually ON the charter commission

Let's see. As far as I can remember, you have to be an actual resident to be on the commission, correct? So that leaves you out. That leaves only one answer left.

All hail the King.

DetroitDad Guest

Would that make you his jester?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    1) Royalty, or

Let's see. As far as I can remember, you have to be an actual resident to be on the commission, correct? So that leaves you out. That leaves only one answer left.

All hail the King.
    Kings of destiny, some are not. For not a journey, but a circus is their life. Everybody please look and laugh at how funny and entertaining he is for a moment, and then we can get back on topic for a few minutes, before he does it again.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Would that make you his jester?

Kings of destiny, some are not. For not a journey, but a circus is their life. Everybody please look and laugh at how funny and entertaining he is for a moment, and then we can get back on topic for a few minutes, before he does it again.
    Well, it's true. He lives in GP by his own admission. I venture to say that disqualifies himself from any civic post in Detroit.. He now is one of the "other".

Deflection isn't one of your strong suits, if the population of the board wants some belly laughs they should read your many posts here.I guess that you've reconsidered a few positions you posted a few months back, good for you. Maybe you two can pal around at the Campus and sing carols?

Oh wait, you two can sing Beatles songs, Maybe "Jesterday"?

Here's the lyrics.

Jesterday
    You spend your time posting every day
    But you always seem to go astray
    Every day seems like Jesterday
    Suddenly
    Everyone makes a fool of thee
    You're as big a tool as one can be
    Jesterday came so suddenly
    Why you had to post
    I don't know
    It just was ..meh
    I thought something's wrong
    He just longs for Jesterday
    Last edited by Stosh; November-08-10 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    1) Royalty, or

All hail the King.
    I, as a lifelong resident, appreciate Gannon's willingness and sincerity in helping to improve Detroit. All of us who participated in this weekend's Charter Convention discussions have now had a hand in crafting the revisions to the Charter -- whatever they ultimately evolve into. I am proud of my participation and even though I didn't agree with everyone there, I am grateful for the constructive dialogue and exchange of ideas. Venomous haters, you may now resume your never-ending nihilistic meanderings.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    I, as a lifelong resident, appreciate Gannon's willingness and sincerity in helping to improve Detroit. All of us who participated in this weekend's Charter Convention discussions have now had a hand in crafting the revisions to the Charter -- whatever they ultimately evolve into. I am proud of my participation and even though I didn't agree with everyone there, I am grateful for the constructive dialogue and exchange of ideas. Venomous haters, you may now resume your never-ending nihilistic meanderings.
    To that end, maybe I should have come down and dropped my 2 cents too?

Please do...you have two more chances...the next weekend is the 20th and 21st, then the second weekend of December down at Cass Tech. Look on their website for the interim site.

They are VERY inclusive and welcoming...and even though I overheard one commission member mumbling some discontent about being there early on a Saturday morning, in the coffee line BEFORE we got any...she never ONCE had anything less than a great attitude, and went out of her way to talk with me and learn more about me, as well as encourage me to speak on a few of the topics which I stumbled upon.

THAT is the source of my inclusive language...WE are working together to forge a future. I feel very invested in the process already.

I was born in Detroit. If my situation were better, I'd be back there yesterday. I am doing everything I can to create a studio for analyzing hifi equipment AND recording music for my musician friends. The trends are VERY good, I've been helping Buddy Smith and Audra Kubat recently...and the product were making is really quite good.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; November-09-10 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Gannon: How are you guys who are rewriting the city charter going to make Detroit "functional" again, as you wrote? I'd love to see it, but can't imagine it without a lot more revenue coming in. Like massive amounts of revenue.
    At the very least, we are trying to re-establish checks and balances so that nothing like the previous administration is ever allowed to prosper again. AND, there seems an enormous focus on Home Rule.

I think there is great potential to do good in a policy advisory capacity...I know I have the ability to generate 'blue sky' ideas which encapsulate unique solutions to vexing problems...and harbor no illusions that they may make any difference. I only put them out there to help others consider unique Detroit solutions...synthesis of the better and best of all that has gone before us, if we do it well.

Cheers

I think it's great that Gannon is participating. Hope he will continue to update us with progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2