Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
A related question: can you remember any places that had the old style wooden booth with the accordian door. I cannot think of one outdoor place where one stood. I do remember being in some in buildings. Also the big wooden phone "stall" in Sanders on Jefferson Ave. Calls home cost a nickel?
I vividly remember and indoor one still alive in the mid 70's. Used to work for MichCon and we would have lunch at restaurant/bars all over the city. What is not vivid is exactly where it was or the name of the place.

I believe it was on Forest, north side of the street a littel ways east of Russell. Large two family flat style house. Restaurant bar downstairs, mom and pop lived upstairs. The son was active in the place then, it had been running for years. They had a beautiful dark wood phone booth inside....I used to marvel at it then, because by that time, few were left then.

I'd love to remember the name of that place...the neighborhood was already highly declining by that time, they had no signs outside. If you didn't know it was there, you could walk right past and not realize the establishment within existed. GREAT place to eat. The portions were so large it was hard to return to work, you wanted take a nap.

A dime phone call then, but if you were savvy with the old three hole phones [[nickel dime quarter) with the coin return button, you knew how to get a nickel call.