Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Warrendale [[west of Evergreen) was absolutely dead. I was 1 of only 2 houses on my block giving out candy - and our block is 1/4 mile long! Only gave out candy to 6 or 7 kids. Sad.
    Same goes with me, I only had two kids come to my door all night, east of Southfield. Stick a fork in it, trick or treating in Warrendale is done. Not even the next door kids or the ones across the street came by, they were gone to a party somewhere.

Danny,

Your power as prophet breaks down with the mundane, doesn't it?!

They drove, walked, and were BUSSED across Mack and Alter.

Some in church vans, you'd be very proud. They must've had 15 children inside the one we saw near the end of the night. My girlfriend says she saw a SCHOOL BUS!

On the way back from CVS for more candy, I got stuck behind a GM minivan with mismatched rear tires, the right one nearly worn through. You could see the tire cords where the tread wore through. If I'd been on the freeway, I would've driven as fast as I could to get in front of them.

After walking my sister, her husband, his sister, her husband, and their twins 2-year-old boys back to their car...I met a nice woman with the hood open on her old white Taurus sedan, needing a jumpstart. Had her started and on her way before the next pass of the police patrol. [[which was VERY constant, yet not heavy-handed, showing again that this force is amongst the best I've ever encountered)

On the way to Cliff Bell's, for the incredible performance by Ben Starkey and his band [[where I learned the cocky-funny Alex Trajano from WDET plays a MEAN drum, he did a solo at the end of the night that simply dazzled us all), we saw a few older children just escape a curfew violation by crossing Alter. They even knew better than to jaywalk!

So, yeah...Halloween is a day without judgment, as far as I'm concerned. My girlfriend always throws a party, so she has at least two or three adults in costume greeting and entertaining the beggars, since they come in droves...in waves.

Last night, I dressed as a psychedelic Fred Flintstone...she found some material that was purple and beige fur, and I actually had a matching Jerry Garcia tie. It was inspired by this funny furry hat with horns she found [[and HAD to buy) while shopping for a costume for the CCS Art Parade a month or so back...THE 'Loyal Order of Water Buffalos Lodge' one! A women with two children in line with me at CVS said, just after the young ones asked what I was supposed to be, "you look like a mutant cow".

Much later in the evening, with the eighth recounting of that story, I realized my snappy retort, "Yabba-Dabba MOO". Always the quick one on the return, I am.

I must re-state, after reading that offhand comment above about some 'unruly mob', that EVERYONE was absolutely well-behaved, engaging, polite, and totally beautiful for the entire night. I ended the night with a very encouraging view of our mere human condition, even in this divided town. It was one of the most beautiful encounters I've had with a mass of humanity ever in my life, and believe me...it was a mass of people. If I wasn't in a comfortable space with loving people around me, I would've simply been overwhelmed.

HUGE Cheers through my headache this morning [[fasting off caffeine for a week or so to reset the body again, thankfully we've no more candy around the house to test my lack of resistance to its temptation).
    Last edited by Gannon; November-01-10 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Same goes with me, I only had two kids come to my door all night, east of Southfield. Stick a fork in it, trick or treating in Warrendale is done. Not even the next door kids or the ones across the street came by, they were gone to a party somewhere.
    I have several friends who live in Warrendale who posted the same results on Facebook. One had 8 kids. Another had 1 kid. Another had no kids. In my neighborhood, there were several houses that were all decked out with decorations, but for some reason, the folks didn't hand out candy. I'll ask my friends from Warrendale to sit in those driveways next year to hand out candy.

I didn't pass out candy this year due to unexpected expenses, but usually I do. My street did have some trick or treaters but not many. Most of the houses were dark but many of my neighbors haven't passed out candy in years anyway. A friend who lives near me but in the Dearborn, Tireman area said she hardly gets any kids on her street. Said everybody usually hits Oakman for goodies and she's only a few streets away.

I went to a church Halloween party Sat. night for the day camp I help out with. Must have been about 50 kids. They had food, treats and a haunted house set up in the church basement rooms we use for classes. The church is pretty large so we had the room. Kids had a good time.

More kids go to organized parties these days, house, church etc., whereas back in the 60's, we roamed the whole neighborhood. Be'd gone for hours. Most houses had lights on and gave out candy and money. One year I remember getting plenty of apples. Of course this was before the poison, needles, razor blades scare. Guess it depends on the city, "hood"or street you live in or on if you get the traffic that some posters mentioned.