Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1-8-7

Well? What about episode number 2? A murder on the Detroit Princess....nice plot! There is no Southeastern Michigan University to even be a football star at though! HAHA LOL nice try! Nice shots of THE DMC too! Any other comments?

As far as the fictitious names of schools & such issue is concerned, on Law & Order they consistently use "Hudson University" and "The New York Ledger" along with many, many made-up places and addresses [[every address I ever knew where it would have been did not exist.) I am surprised they actually used "The Detroit News" as a newspaper [[although the validity of the actual Detroit News may come into question.

Overall, not a bad show. Other than the title and lead character I actually like it. It presents Detroit very straightforward, as it could be any other city in the nation [[& actually cleans it up a bit) which I believe is necessary when the premise of a show begins with dead people. Any additional negativity would weigh the show down too much. It would be extremely easy to grab for all the negativity that they could. I am glad that they are seemingly above that.

I would love to see them actually do some research and for fake location purposes use defunct names. Eastern High School, Miami Avenue, Club Taboo & American Motors and the like would all make excellent little inside jokes!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    As far as the fictitious names of schools & such issue is concerned, on Law & Order they consistently use "Hudson University" and "The New York Ledger" along with many, many made-up places and addresses [[every address I ever knew where it would have been did not exist.) I am surprised they actually used "The Detroit News" as a newspaper [[although the validity of the actual Detroit News may come into question.

Overall, not a bad show. Other than the title and lead character I actually like it. It presents Detroit very straightforward, as it could be any other city in the nation [[& actually cleans it up a bit) which I believe is necessary when the premise of a show begins with dead people. Any additional negativity would weigh the show down too much. It would be extremely easy to grab for all the negativity that they could. I am glad that they are seemingly above that.

I would love to see them actually do some research and for fake location purposes use defunct names. Eastern High School, Miami Avenue, Club Taboo & American Motors and the like would all make excellent little inside jokes!
    I dont know if they are actually allowed to use actual school names on the TV, depends on the context I suppose. I think that the inclusion of places that used to be but are no more would be a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    As far as the fictitious names of schools & such issue is concerned, on Law & Order they consistently use "Hudson University" and "The New York Ledger" along with many, many made-up places and addresses [[every address I ever knew where it would have been did not exist.)
    Speaking of L&O, did anyone notice they did a scene in "Detroit" last night on SVU? It was pretty spot on about police department's situation too...

Yes, I noticed the Detroit spot on Law & Order...then Channel 4 did a follow up story on the news about the backlog in DNA testing. I think they said 15,000+ DNA test kits were sent to the State Lab when the closed the Detroit Lab. And most of those are waiting to be tested still. Sad....

The reason, of course, for using fictitious places is that nobody wants to turn on the TV & see a murder scene with their address plastered on the screen. Plus, if some sick bastard decided to reenact the crime scene Jeffrey Feiger would practically wet himself.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

I watched Episode 2 on Hulu today. It was better than the pilot but the acting is SO STIFF [[and not in a good way). And until they get that "soda" thing right.... **eyeroll**

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Well? What about episode number 2? A murder on the Detroit Princess....nice plot! There is no Southeastern Michigan University to even be a football star at though! HAHA LOL nice try! Nice shots of THE DMC too! Any other comments?
    It wasn't a murder on the Detroit Princess - it was a heart attack while the groom was scromping with a bridesmaid.

I cant give up on Sons of Anarchy, as cheesy as it is, which is on at the same time as 187. I try to switch back and forth during commercials but 187 just hasn't gripped me. I was a huge fan of NYPD Blue and I don't see any comparison.

After watching The Wire, I feel spoiled, it seems nothing will match it.

Just wait until they drive up and down Chene. :-)

Default Now that "Detroit 1-8-7" is a success, how about a nightly/weekly late show ?

Such as Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, the Late Show with David Letterman, or Jimmy Kimmel Live, or even SNL ..... something that attracts a regular studio audience and a routine national broadcast schedule.

These type of TV program format brings a continuous stream of fans on a regular basis, and propel the city forward, such as what the Oprah Show does for Chicago and the Tonight Show with Jay Leno does for L.A./Burbank. Clearly, NYC enjoys the perennial crown for such events, as it produces the most of these live shows.

As the country has now embraced "Detroit 1-8-7" so favorably, we should continue to strive towards loftier goals in this arena. How do you envision Detroit having such a live TV program with studio audience?

The problem with that is that it would be nearly impossible to get nationally famous guests on the show. The shows based in New York and Los Angeles are able to get big name stars because they live in those cities, or are at least in those cities for work. Oprah is able to get big-name guests every now and then, because she basically owns daytime TV.

A show filmed in Detroit wouldn't work because most stars would turn down having to fly out to Detroit to appear on a show for 15 minutes.

The show is so wooden and fake to me compared to actual crime and other issues in the city. Glad to see some local folks are making a bit of money to be involved however.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    I watched Episode 2 on Hulu today. It was better than the pilot but the acting is SO STIFF [[and not in a good way). And until they get that "soda" thing right.... **eyeroll**

LOL! A Saturday open-event midnight ride on the 'Detroit Princess' is wild on its own terms [[though not fatal - no one has fallen off the ship drunk or high just yet -- smile). It is for sure the 'part-teee' junk-sion -- but not so much on the low-low...

But no cops or detectives are on board to hinder the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    It wasn't a murder on the Detroit Princess - it was a heart attack while the groom was scromping with a bridesmaid.

I don't see it in the cards for a successful daily Detroit-based variety show. We've already tried that with The Scene. I don't know why that show hosted by Nat Morris didn't take off on a national level. Perhaps it was the Kansas City Beef commercials.

This show lacks realism and depth. These writers need to sit down and watch NARC, Four Brothers, Blue Collar, and Robocop a few times to learn how to do a Detroit drama.

We have watched 187 and we like it - face it, it isn't "The Wire", and never will be. Most of the population of this country would not watch "The Wire" anyways! I love that show - my husband told me last night that Omar was on "Boardwalk Empire", trying to get me to watch that show - sorry, I like my Omar just the way he is! Hey at least the show is in Detoit, and God knows it isn't the worst show on regular TV - in fact, except for the news and 60 Minutes and sports, it is the ONLY show we watch that is on regular TV. I hope they make it.

9mile&seneca Guest

Too bad they didn't have a show about Detroit in the '60's. That would have been a show! Woodward and 9 mile alone would have been great scenery! Then you had the Chin Tiki,and Grecian Gardens, with actual wise guys hanging around.

If this goes international who gives a sh#t that it wasn't shot in Detroit at all? Johnny Average and Suzy Homemaker in the UK or anywhere else in the world wouldn't know if it was or wasn't shot in Motown. I have the privilege of being among you in this forum, and as a foreigner I think I know only a fragment of the city, but more than the average person.

I think I know more of the city than most Americans though. But someone in Atlanta will recognize his city as well.

It would be convenient for us if someone was "murdered" an the United Artists theater stage... At least we would know the current situation inside.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-04-10 at 09:36 AM.

hudkina: Yes, the pool of celebrities will not be as extensive as NYC and LA, or even Chicago. The good news is the fact that the film industry currently embraces Michigan wholeheartedly. Transformers 3 was just here recently. Demi Moore and Miley Cyrus were also in town not long ago to film a movie, Ashton Kutcher was here too as a result. There are of course many Michigan celebrities, both in the entertainment arena as well as in sports, who could be guests on such a show. Frankly, the show could even bring business leaders and other intriguing individuals onto the show. The possibilities are endless.

Dennis Wholey had a late night talk show out of Detroit which was broadcast nationally on PBS during the 80s. He eventually moved it to Washington [[I think). I believe he did have some trouble getting guests for the show. It was nightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    This show lacks realism and depth. These writers need to sit down and watch NARC, Four Brothers, Blue Collar, and Robocop a few times to learn how to do a Detroit drama.
    Well put. Narc uses the city exactly as it should be done. There were some great shots in that movie. I think the main problem is that they are not letting the city be its own silent character, which of course went out the window with the title. With at least one the writers being from here, I'm hoping it gets better.

Edit: And before someone says it, I know Narc shot in Toronto as well.
    Last edited by Islandman; October-04-10 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Too bad they didn't have a show about Detroit in the '60's. That would have been a show! Woodward and 9 mile alone would have been great scenery! Then you had the Chin Tiki,and Grecian Gardens, with actual wise guys hanging around.
    if they try to do some “period scenes” like Cold Case, how would they fix up the area that they are referring to when so many locations are razed or devastated now?

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    hudkina: Yes, the pool of celebrities will not be as extensive as NYC and LA, or even Chicago. The good news is the fact that the film industry currently embraces Michigan wholeheartedly. Transformers 3 was just here recently. Demi Moore and Miley Cyrus were also in town not long ago to film a movie, Ashton Kutcher was here too as a result. There are of course many Michigan celebrities, both in the entertainment arena as well as in sports, who could be guests on such a show. Frankly, the show could even bring business leaders and other intriguing individuals onto the show. The possibilities are endless.

The storyline:
    Eminem was found unconcious in the main hall of MCS by Tim Allen who was hoping to do some home improvement. The ghost of Sonny Bono was waiting for a train while Alice Cooper was doing some voodoo stuff on the roof. He saw the suspect pacing off in the direction of city center.

Conclusion after the break.

If this is directed by Francis Ford Coppola you would certainly be watcing this! Hahahha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Well put. Narc uses the city exactly as it should be done. There were some great shots in that movie. I think the main problem is that they are not letting the city be its own silent character, which of course went out the window with the title. With at least one the writers being from here, I'm hoping it gets better.

Edit: And before someone says it, I know Narc shot in Toronto as well.
    I know we want to be hard because we want the show to do well in our city but we have to remember that they have only aired two shows and one was filmed mostly in the ATL so let's give it time to settle in.

I agree about Detroit being the silent character. Detroit needs to the main silent character for Detrot 1-8-7 like Baltimore was for The Wire.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast