Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The most interesting thing was how everyone I met wanted to see the automakers fail. They were under the impression that they wouldn’t be affected by Chrysler liquidation and that it would be great for the state. Basically, I felt like I was at some kind of Tea Party event, but instead of worshipping Palim, these people were worshipping Amway because II had 4 different people try their lame-ass pyramid scheme sales routine on me.
This is my first time posting on DY. Long Time reader, new poster. This thread struck a chord with me as a native Metro Detroiter [[Downriver-born and raised) now living in Grand Rapids. I can validate many of the thoughts expressed in this thread. My wife and her family have spent their entire lives in Grand Rapids and know little about Detroit besides cars and sports. For example, when someone went to Port Huron for a wedding last week, they said they were in Detroit. I had to go to the right hand map to point out that the two locations and that they are not even close.

I have a friend who is also a GR Native and fellow GVSU grad. He is the living example of “PATRICK’s” post. He goes on and on about what a hell hole Detroit is, and that Grand Rapids is the engine of the Michigan economy [[GO AMWAY!). He is completely ignorant to the reality that Detroit drives Michigan and is exponentially larger than Grand Rapids. I have almost gotten into fist fights with him over this very discussion. I tell him constantly that Grand Rapids would not be what it is today without the resources of its big brother Detroit. Manufacturing is huge out here and besides office furniture they manufacture AUTO PARTS FOR DETROIT AUTO MAKERS.

I love Grand Rapids, it has a lot of art, culture, and entertainment options, the new medical developments are fantastic, and it is very family oriented---but it is by no means a big city. This town used to be referred to as “Bland Rapids” until a few big names decided to reinvent things and throw a ton of cash at Downtown.

The one thing GR has that I wish Detroit did is more people willing to invest in the city. In GR we have the usual suspects, DeVos, VanAndel, Meijer, Cook, and DeWitt. In Detroit, there are big business people like Illitch, Karmonos, and Gilbert but many more need to step up based on the sheer size of the city. A few people cannot do it all themselves. That’s why I follow this forum, because I feel like I am on an island over here amongst Detroit haters and need people that I can share my dream of a Detroit comeback.