Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The "empty nest thing" certainly needs to be considered here, too.

I grew up in Sterling Heights through the 80s and 90s ..... my parents were both working and making a good wage in 2000 but have retired now [[still live in the same house).

That's occurred with a lot of households just on my old block.

Prior to the bursting of the housing bubble, the west side of Sterling Hts experienced a strong housing market and was popular with young and recent immigrants who purchased homes previously occupied by older folks who were at the peak of their career earnings. Add to that the decline in earnings caused by the automotive sector restructuring, and it's no wonder the income statistics fell like they did.