Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Like you said, FOX called for a public punishment, and they got it, public career capital punishment. Sometimes I am dismayed by the voyeuristic, vengeful natures that call for such treatment of humans.
    Out in Hollywood we have a young girl who has thumbed her nose at authority. This girl has had break after break after break. This child has used cocaine, heroin, pills, alcohol, everything and yet they want to keep giving her a chance. We have the third-rated news station craft a hatchet job of a story and within 5 days, 13 men have been terminated and 2 have been suspended yet the girl was ordered to jail only to get out hours later because she had a good lawyer, she has some money and she has a name. Someone tell me why we should be happy that these men were fired?

Not a draconian move by Chrysler, but they only move they could make. I'm not concerned about 15 workers who knowingly broke a company rule and gave Chryler a terrible PR problem. I am however concerned about the survival of Chrysler. This episode wasn't going to sink Chrysler, but it certainly gave them a pretty dark circle under their eye.

R8RBOB, that girl in Hollywood represents herslf.
    Those 15 workers represent a company that is fighting for it's very survival.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Not a draconian move by Chrysler, but they only move they could make. I'm not concerned about 15 workers who knowingly broke a company rule and gave Chryler a terrible PR problem. I am however concerned about the survival of Chrysler. This episode wasn't going to sink Chrysler, but it certainly gave them a pretty dark circle under their eye.

R8RBOB, that girl in Hollywood represents herslf.
    Those 15 workers represent a company that is fighting for it's very survival.
    You said it wouldn't sink Chrysler so why fire them? Dark circles heal. What was the government going to do. Ask for its money back. It don't work like that. The only reason why Chrysler is showing embarrassment is because of the Obama factor. Nothing more.

Stosh Guest

Yep, now almost every post here is pretty much spot on as to the real reasons this story was done. Absolutely, NewsCorp should be sued. I never bought into the whole premise of "workers" as tipsters anyway. This was an ambush piece of the worst kind, hurting these workers and their families in the worst possible way.

Ravine Guest

I don't think getting thoroughly blasted, while on a lunch break from one's job, is OK. I don't think it is a disgrace, either.

I clarified that to reiterate my feelings on the general topic. I think the Fox2News guy did something lousy and unnecessary [[unnecessary given that the activity was hardly news-worthy.) Now, a bunch of guys have lost their jobs. Not guys who were stealing parts, not guys who were embezzling funds, not guys who were selling illegal narcotics inside the plant. Guys who were catching a buzz on lunch.

Some of you can justify it to your own satisfaction and feel OK about it, but I don't. I feel bad for those guys and their families, regardless of what level of responsibility, for the firings, they may share, and I think the guy from the TV news show is a dirty rotten little motherfucker who deserves the ass-kicking which he has put himself at risk of receiving.
    I mean, that "well, he asked for it" bit runs in multiple directions, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    You said it wouldn't sink Chrysler so why fire them?
    Well, a faulty ignition switch recall wouldn't sink Chryler either. However if you have enough bad things piled up it would. Getting rid of these workers and sending the message that this will not be tolerate is one less negative they have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Well, a faulty ignition switch recall wouldn't sink Chryler either. However if you have enough bad things piled up it would. Getting rid of these workers and sending the message that this will not be tolerate is one less negative they have to worry about.
    Sending the message!!!!! I like your naivety. Maybe you miss the part about how the bosses knew what the employees have been doing on their lunch break. Do you think this activity started last year? This has been going on since before you were born and now Chrysler wants to send a message. The only message that Chrysler wants to send is that they have been ratted out and now we have to put our foot down.

Maybe you miss the part about how the bosses knew what the employees have been doing on their lunch break
    I did. Which report mentioned it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    I did. Which report mentioned it?
    Not a report just a comment I posted. You want to flame on something that has been common knowledge?

Someone tell me why we should be happy that these men were fired?
    Because the perception outside of Detroit is nearly *all* union workers are like this, the companies do nothing about it, and that's one of the reasons the big three build crappy cars.

Foreign car companies do not use union labor. AFAIK not a single one. So public perception, right or wrong, is foreign cars = high quality = no union labor. Detroit cars = crappy quality = union labor.

Right or wrong, that's the perception. Think about it - consumers don't want to hear that the UAW is going to fight tooth and nail to protect the jobs of the junkies that install the brakes on your car.