Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    The state did not ban smoking?

Then what did they tell these private property owners about what can happen on their own property?
    Let's see, a smoker can do the following:
    They can wake up and light up a cigarette in their own home.
    They can get into their car and smoke a cigarette with their morning coffee.
    They can go to the gas station or the drug store or the liquor store and purchase a pack of cigarettes or cigars or pipe tobacco.
    They can take a break at work go outside and smoke a cigarette
    They don't have to worry about the authorities giving them the third degree about smoking a cigarette.

They have these rights because the state did not ban "smoking." The state banned smoking in public establishments like bars and restaurants. It may be privately-owned but it is a public establishment. Nice try with the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Let's see, a smoker can do the following:
    They can wake up and light up a cigarette in their own home.
    They can get into their car and smoke a cigarette with their morning coffee.
    They can go to the gas station or the drug store or the liquor store and purchase a pack of cigarettes or cigars or pipe tobacco.
    They can take a break at work go outside and smoke a cigarette
    They don't have to worry about the authorities giving them the third degree about smoking a cigarette.

They have these rights because the state did not ban "smoking." The state banned smoking in public establishments like bars and restaurants. It may be privately-owned but it is a public establishment. Nice try with the argument.
    So, you're telling me that the state can tell a private property owner that is it perfectly acceptable to prohibit the use of a legal product on their own premises?

Interesting Rube-Goldberg logic.

So, you're telling me that the state can tell a private property owner that is it perfectly acceptable to prohibit the use of a legal product on their own premises?

Interesting Rube-Goldberg logic.
    I think you are confused with public and private establishment.

Private: for a group of citizens who wish to gather among themselves. Closed to the public
    Public: open to any citizen who wish to be in an open gathering. No restrictions, no membership required.

For example, Oakland Hills Country Club is a private establishment that caters to a group of people who wish to play golf and have parties among themselves. The public is not invited unless it is by a member of the country club.

On the other hand, Rouge Park Golf Course is a public establishment that is open to anyone who wishes to pay any required fees to play golf on the course.

A bar like HockeyTown Cafe may be owned by the Ilitches and as such it is privately-owned, however, the bar is....[[and follow what I am going to type next) opened to the PUBLIC therefore it is a.....public establishment which must adhere to the rules mandated by the state so if the state say no jacking off, you can't allow customers to jack off in your bar. Same goes for smoking. This concludes the educational lesson for the day.

I think you are confused with public and private establishment.

Private: for a group of citizens who wish to gather among themselves. Closed to the public
    Public: open to any citizen who wish to be in an open gathering. No restrictions, no membership required.

For example, Oakland Hills Country Club is a private establishment that caters to a group of people who wish to play golf and have parties among themselves. The public is not invited unless it is by a member of the country club.

On the other hand, Rouge Park Golf Course is a public establishment that is open to anyone who wishes to pay any required fees to play golf on the course.

A bar like HockeyTown Cafe may be owned by the Ilitches and as such it is privately-owned, however, the bar is....[[and follow what I am going to type next) opened to the PUBLIC therefore it is a.....public establishment which must adhere to the rules mandated by the state so if the state say no jacking off, you can't allow customers to jack off in your bar. Same goes for smoking. This concludes the educational lesson for the day.
    No confusion about public or private, but apparently what is and isn't legal.

Cigarettes, Cigars and anything with tobacco in it is a legal product.

Someone masturbating in public is illegal if they are doing it in a city park or doing it at Motor City.

Someone masturbating in public is illegal if they are doing it in a city park or doing it at Motor City.
    Hahahaaahahaha

No confusion about public or private, but apparently what is and isn't legal.

Cigarettes, Cigars and anything with tobacco in it is a legal product.

So now it is legal and illegal!!!! You started off with public and private and now it is legal and illegal. Ok, I'm game.

The reason why public masturbation is illegal is because a group of men got together and said "that's indecent. We can't have guys jacking off in public. We need a law stating that lewd behavior is strictly prohibited." So they pass laws and things like masturbating is prohibited. You can still do it but not in public and in the presence of others.

Smoking is allowed but not in public settings because a group of men and women got together and said "we allow people to smoke in the open and non-smokers and children are subjective to smell like an ashtray due to no fault of theirs. Perhaps if we require smokers to go outsiders, non-smokers would be subjective to second-hand smoke." So they passed a law and smokers are required to go outside to smoke. You can still smoke but not in public establishments and in the presence of others

So now it is legal and illegal!!!! You started off with public and private and now it is legal and illegal. Ok, I'm game.

The reason why public masturbation is illegal is because a group of men got together and said "that's indecent. We can't have guys jacking off in public. We need a law stating that lewd behavior is strictly prohibited." So they pass laws and things like masturbating is prohibited. You can still do it but not in public and in the presence of others.

Smoking is allowed but not in public settings because a group of men and women got together and said "we allow people to smoke in the open and non-smokers and children are subjective to smell like an ashtray due to no fault of theirs. Perhaps if we require smokers to go outsiders, non-smokers would be subjective to second-hand smoke." So they passed a law and smokers are required to go outside to smoke. You can still smoke but not in public establishments and in the presence of others
    You are dancing around the issue that tobacco is still a legal product.

Why not just come out and say that you want to ban smoking altogether because you know what is better for someone else, than they do?

You're talking about a theoretical ...what if ? It's raining therefore the sky is falling. You can't chain smoke in my office, therefore they're going to take away your right to smoke the walls gray in my house!
    You can't take your clothes off in the middle of the street, therefore nudity is going to be banned! That's what they're really after! They want to tell you nudity is bad for you. It's the nanny state!

Why not just come out and say that you want to ban smoking altogether because you know what is better for someone else, than they do?
    Does MCP stand for the Master Control Program? I thought Flynn neutralized you. Just wondering.....LOL

As for the legal status of tobacco well MCP I do believe smokers can still buy their product. I don't recall protesters camped out at stores and gas stations in an attempt to stop any smoker from getting his or her smokes. As for banning smoking, I don't care about prohibiting people from smoking. I care only about going to a strip joint and not having to deal with the dancer's cigarette ash staining my clothes as she is talking to me. .....END OF LINE.....

Alcohol is a legal product but you're not allowed to drink it inside a moving vehicle. You should whine to Lansing about that.

lincoln8740 Guest

uh hey high and mighty- the state banned smoking also in PRIVATE establishments as well. They also banned smoking OUTSIDE at both public and private establishments

Speaking of Private Establishments and smoking---anybody go to "Back to the Club" night at the DAC?

How did they handle the whole smoking and drinking thing?
    Last edited by lincoln8740; September-25-10 at 07:18 PM.