Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
I think the real problem is that houses here have so little value. Where's the incentive to sink money into a worthless house in a declining neighborhood? Unless you have some sentimental attachment to the place, or have reason to believe that the low housing prices are temporary and the neighborhood will eventually rebound, there's probably a point at which it makes more rational sense to let the house go than to keep maintaining it. Detroit looks the way it does because more houses have reached that point here than in other places.

A well-built house will likely decay more slowly once abandoned, but that only matters if the housing market in the neighborhood improves at some point after it's abandoned. Otherwise, a house that wasn't economical to keep up in 1995 will be even less economical to rehab after 15 years of abandonment, even if it's still perfectly salvageable.
Yes, it's not the house, it's stuff other than the house, jeeze I'd give my eye teeth to have my kids grow up in the same kind of house my parents did, and believe-you-me I'd find plenty of time and money to keep things up, not a problem.

But as a parent, you can only control so many things, and the rest you have to suck up. So I'll keep my house up, till the point where that just isn't enough anymore, then I'm bailin'