Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

LodgeDodger Guest

I completely understand when something is found to be no longer useful. It's a simple concept. What I cannot understand [[in this case) is for the company to neglect to call Pewabic. Not calling them smacks to me of a hurried demolition. It indicates to me that they didn't want to call in an expert [[and possibly waste time and money) on saving the tiles.

I'm just so tired of hearing about shit being bulldozed, thrown away, and mishandled.

As far as Pewabic continuing to manufacture tiles and vessels, yes they do. What many fail to understand is that the older the piece, the greater the value.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I completely understand when something is found to be no longer useful. It's a simple concept. What I cannot understand [[in this case) is for the company to neglect to call Pewabic. Not calling them smacks to me of a hurried demolition. It indicates to me that they didn't want to call in an expert [[and possibly waste time and money) on saving the tiles.

I'm just so tired of hearing about shit being bulldozed, thrown away, and mishandled.

As far as Pewabic continuing to manufacture tiles and vessels, yes they do. What many fail to understand is that the older the piece, the greater the value.
    Because they were hired and contracted to do a job that didn't involve sorting and stacking tiles. I might work for free and do it, but not everyone will. That doesn't make them bad or irresponsible people.

At the very least, both Pewabic Pottery and the Detroit HIstorical Museum should have been given the opportunity to salvage some of the tiles for future historical displays. There was some pretty unique Pewabic design in the Scott Fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    At the very least, both Pewabic Pottery and the Detroit HIstorical Museum should have been given the opportunity to salvage some of the tiles for future historical displays. There was some pretty unique Pewabic design in the Scott Fountain.
    Agreed, Kathleen. Pewabic, the Historical Museum, Preservation Wayne... any of them could have been contacted and I'm sure they would have had a team of volunteers there in a heartbeat.