I had this problem back when I lived in the Village, before I moved off of ground level. The problem in IV is that so many garages open onto a public alley or directly onto the street behind the house [[as mine did), and are a long ways away from the house with doors that face away from the house and are out of view. So that it's practically impossible to keep this from happening.

Over many years I learned not to keep anything of any conceivable value at all in my garage. I used to just leave my very cheap garage door unlocked so that any fool could just walk in, but there was still occasionally those who insisted on trying to drive into the garage. I did put in a simple, inexpensive, motion sensor alarm that lit the place up like a prison yard and made a couple of minutes of loud noise the second the door was breached. The dopeheads thought they had an easy score breaking into the garage of some "rich" person, with little chance of being caught, but the alarm, combined with the lack of anything to steal, meant that some sort of word seemed to get around and they pretty much gave up after awhile. I never had anyone break in there during the last 6 years I lived there.