Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wayne Hotel

Correction about the first auto show in Detroit being held at the Wayne Hotel. The first one sponsored by the Detroit Auto
    Dealer Assoc was in 1909 at the Wayne Hotel.

Luckily, the excerpt at Google Books shows the pages covering these, and some new pics of the WH:

The first century of the Detroit Auto Show By Robert Szudarek

Quote Originally Posted by dspeight View Post
    Mikeg, where did you find this. I too, am mightily impressed!
    I have a subscription to Footnote.com. Their collections of searchable document images include the pages of the Detroit City Directories from 1861 through 1923. While some of their collections are free to non-subscribers, the City Directories are not. Non-subscribers can browse or search the City Directories and look at thumbnail page images but a subscription is required to download a page image.

Send me an e-mail if you need a page image.

Great thread, awesome graphics! What a rush!

I agree, what a rush!

Searching the census at Heritage Quest through Michigan eLibrary is free and allows you to see photos of the actual pages, but it requires a state of Michigan driver's license or ID number, or a Michigan library card to log-in. Search is available for years 1790 through 1930 for the entire United States, but can be narrowed to a particular state.

There is no one with the name Dyne listed on the 1900 census for Wayne County, but there are two heads of household with the name of Dine.
    Surname Given Name Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location Year
    DINE EDWARD M 36 M W OH MI WAYNE 4-WD DETROIT 1900
    DINE JOHN P 50 M W PA MI WAYNE 16-WD DETROIT 1900

Although John and his parents were born in PA and his wife is English-Canadian of a French-Canadian father and English mother, the wife's name is Harriet and he is a railroad engineer. The 1910 census lists Harriet as a widow still residing in Detroit.

Edward is a shipping clerk and his wife's name is Estella. They are still in Detroit for the 1910 census.

Maybe your great-grandfather moved his family near a sanatorium
    somewhere for a while before returning to Philadelphia.

Attachment 7420

1949 aerial photo, showing the parking lot [[in yellow) where the Wayne Hotel once stood.

Great photos and info...
    Here is a postcard view from our collection that is dated 1910.
    Attachment 7422
    Postmarked Detroit MICH. Aug 12 9:30 pm 1910

READS:
    Mrs. Roy Bliss
    Hickory St.
    Niles Michigan

Detroit Aug12

Dear Mrs.Bliss
    Sometime when you can will you get
    the key to the front door which
    I left at Mr Stiads & go in &
    water my ferns-
    Mr Salisburys mother is not
    well & he wont get home
    as soon as he expected- & they
    will go dry. one of them I left
    in the back room. you will
    need to water them but once.
    I hope this will find you all
    well - seems as if I had been
    gone a long time.
    Mrs. S

Better view of the waterside pavillion. This is a location worth investigating.

How so??
    I didin't mean the pavillion in itself but the hotel as a whole. I've been here for a while and sometimes I see multiple threads about buildings of interest. And this building I've never seen in this forum before, that's why I found it interesting.

I stink at lay-out

From the Library of Congress site... they list it as the Wayne Pavillion, circa 1900-1910.

circa 1900 - 1915

From having a charming little waterfront garden to a warehouse. sorry no better info on the date.

Alternate view: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/det1994016988/PP/
    Last edited by gnome; September-28-10 at 02:32 PM.

dspeight - if you have access to Ancestry.com, check there. Ship lists are located there as well as the census. My grandparents and great-grandparents settled in Philadelphia from Ireland with the ship coming in at the Philadelphia port.

Can't thank you enough for all the info. Are you native to Detroit? When we come back to the US on one of our visits, we are definitely gonna have to come and see this for ourselves. Where is the vital statistics office located these days. Does Wayne County have a new county building where these are kept? Apparently, my great grandfather had a brother who came over and worked for Ford. Where would I have to go for employment records? If memory serves me correctly, they have their own archive library.
    Send an email to the Benson Ford Research Center to see if they have any employment records for Ford Motor Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Attachment 7391

1909 The Detroit Pathfinder ad
    Thank you for this photo/ad. It is one I have never seen. J.R. Hayes was my great-great uncle and my great grandfather worked at the Wayne Hotel.

dspeight
    Late on adding to this thread, but my great great uncle was the proprietor of the Wayne Hotel [[James R Hayes, the Comet) at which your relatives worked. My great grandfather worked there as well and I have done some research on the subject, but mainly as it relates to them. J.R. Hayes' wife was Swedish and a massage therapist and thus the addition of the bath house at the Wayne Hotel, I surmise. If I can do any digging on my end in Detroit area please ask. I also have an ancestry.com membership. The Michigan Census is available on ancestry and help may be available at the Burton Library at Detroit's main Library branch. Also, try SeekingMichigan.org for death certs from 1897-1920.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2