Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oakman blvd

Oakman Boulevard Annual Fun Day will be held on Saturday, August 28th from 12 noon to 5pm on the island at Oakman & Stoepel. Stop by and enjoy the free fun, music and food. Bring your own chair. This is an annual event sponsored by the Oalman Boulevard Community Association.

Fool

Felon

Man of Vision

I've known a few who would fit that definition, those don't need to be mutually exclusive!

Cheers

From MikeM's link:

View of Robert Oakman residence; house has cupola, mansard roof and arched windows with crowns. Man standing on sidewalk; woman standing on front lawn; four children standing on front steps; one child seated on front steps holding hat in hand; woman on porch in front of door; 2 children seated on porch. Handwritten on back: "This was taken in 1887. Joseph A. Moross, Mrs. Robert Oakman's father, built this house in 1872. No.1455 Woodward Avenue. Later it was moved to 22 Milwaukee, west."

So if this is correct, that the house was built in 1872 by Robert Oakman's Father-in-law, Joseph Moross, and if it is also true that Robert Oakman was born in 1860 ... he seemingly married into a ton - no, two tons - of dough.

From the above post, I wondered, "how did they move such a large home?" turns ot the didn't move the building, they just filled up the front yard with buildings and changed the address to Milauwkee.

Here is a pic from the wsu site. It shows the GM hq on the left and the Oakman home on the middle right with commercial buildings shoehorned onto what was once Oakman's front and back yards.

For the thought of going to bed early I tossed that out the window. I can see through Google Map that the Oakman house is gone. Yet I find Oakman interesting as he seemed to owned most of the westside before it got built up.
    Henry Ford owned alot of land hisself , Any stats on who owned the most in the time frame they were on a real estate roll?

R.L. Polk City Directory 1928-29
    A stunning house. And not much in the way of power tools, either, likely all hand-tooled....can you imagine? And moving homes was relatively common back then. Why can't we do that today?
    Last edited by kathy2trips; August-25-10 at 01:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2