Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Detroit 101

Hybrid View

DetroitPole Guest

I recently hosted a girl from overseas who was only spending less than a day at my house.

I live in EEV. I took her down Warren and through the more hardscrabble parts of the East Side. Then I took her through Indian Village to prove that Detroit has middle class, poor, and wealthy neighborhoods. I took her for a spin around Belle Isle. Then we took Jefferson to downtown where we rode the People Mover. We stopped at that cafe at Campus Martius and then took Woodward back up to I-94. A Tigers game was getting out, and that was quite a sight for her. We went through the Cultural Center and I took E. Ferry back to 94.

I think I did pretty good for about a 2 hour tour! All in all, she loved it. She didn't think Detroit was a bad place at all, and even expressed interest in moving here when I told her how much an apartment downtown is! I have a harder time convincing suburbanites that Detroit isn't all bad than people from around the world...

Don't be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Areas that could be considered unsafe.