Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I had a generator to run the fridge and we slept in the basement. Just learned that being prepared can make it a little easier.

had an aquaintance that lived on Bishop, he had a generator and slept in the basement, he never woke up, fumes from the generator outside entered a basement window and killed him in his sleep

be careful.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    had an aquaintance that lived on Bishop, he had a generator and slept in the basement, he never woke up, fumes from the generator outside entered a basement window and killed him in his sleep

be careful.....
    Only ran the generator during the day. Everything locked up for the night.

I just left the children's museum in Ann Arbor when it happened. Did not pay attention to the one or two traffic lights that were out before getting on the freeway. I drove all the way to Southfield without knowing about anything that was going on. It wasn't until we got off 696 around Telegraph before we found out about the blackout.

It took almost 2 hours just to safely drive one mile.

My family and I were staying with relatives in northern Virginia. We'd taken a day trip to Baltimore and it was hot hot hot, inside "Old Ironsides" and at the waterfront.
    When the blackout hit we were in the aquaruim where its nice and cool. The power only flickered there, but they put us outside amid the alarm bells and afternoon swelter. After 15 - 20 minutes they let us back in. The power stayed on in Virginia as well, but we weren't sure if we could pump gas in PA or Ohio for the drive home. We stayed an extra day and everything went smooth on the ride home, so I pretty much missed it.
    I attached a hometown photo from Newsweek. Time to update the material in the upstairs library...