Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

If the Eastown Theatre gets razed, it will be the last of the outlying giants among old movie palaces in Detroit. The 3,434 seat Hollywood and 2,786 Grand Riviera are already gone. The 2,500 seat Eastown was the last survivor.

Detroit, like Chicago and New York, had a few very large neighborhood theatres that rivaled the downtown palaces.

It was only a matter of time, the building a a couple of small fires the last few years and was open to trespass. I don't believe it could have been saved anyway.

Mauser took some jaw-dropping photos of the devastation. I'll ask him to post links to them here. The apartment building is destroyed, including much of the facade. I bet it isn't long before the whole thing is brought down.