Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Ravine, some art is not so much seen as felt. Guyton took an abandoned, gutted out forgotten street and highlighted social issues by turning it into a gigantic street scape with a message. Each vingnette, integrated into a whole kaleidoscope makes one pause and wonder about the stories behind that broken bike, the headless doll, the single tattered shoe. Yet behind the tragedy, man's spirit seems to shine.

That's my two cents worth
    I can look around the streets of any town in Michigan and see broken lives, and deferred dreams; plenty of reminders of the glaring social issues that are constantly put in front of all of us to varying degrees. I don't need to gaze on a pile of junk to have to wonder about alleged stories of imaginary lives. For all you know, these could easily have been castoffs of some wealthy person.

It's been said that art is in the eye of the beholder. You like it, I find it distasteful. And I'd dare say that you wouldn't like it a bit if your street became the next Heidleberg, whether in Detroit or in suburbia.

And the rock stacking is a pure safety issue. Imagine a one or two year old kid wandering up to these precariously balanced rocks on the island and getting his/her head crushed by one of these boulders.
    Think things through before you sanctify actions.
    Last edited by Stosh; July-16-10 at 10:28 PM.