Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    More on that dick move, my friends, right here: http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/cityhall.
    God, that sucks. That's where 1 Kennedy Square is today, right? I gather the city was let go to heck for a while there, but today, that building and whatever it is [[the Wayne County courthouse, maybe?) down Cadillac Square, those two facing each other across three parks would look pretty nice.

I don't think 1 Kennedy Square is bad, I just think it may have been really lame to tear down old city hall. What occupied that space between the time of city hall and before the time of 1 Kennedy Square?

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    What occupied that space between the time of city hall and before the time of 1 Kennedy Square?
    Why, Kennedy Square, of course. A large open shadeless space made out of some hard ugly rocky gray material built over a parking garage, with a raised balcony and rostrum area designed for public speaking sitting above a big open sunken area of cracked concrete that was actually a fountain that never seemed to work.

Below is a rare picture of Kennedy Square from the Wayne State Virtual Motor City site with its fountain actually operating [[when they did try to use it, it leaked into the parking garage below through its cracked concrete floor).

As the years went on, the hard, inhospitable, cheaply built and poorly maintained plaza, that was windswept and cold in the winter and unrelentingly sun-beaten and hot in the summer, was used less and less. One Kennedy Square - weirdly a building named after a place that it replaced, a place that no longer exists - whatever its shortcomings is a definite improvement over the space that preceded it.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-06-10 at 09:16 AM.