Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Ah, the good old days!

I worked in the "IBM" dept. in the summer of 1955. GM was going full blast, sales of the '55 Chevy were brisk, and all was well.

Our function was basically quality control reporting, and we were responsible for the various warranty reports culled from the dealer invoices for repairs. We had the minimum, very primitive and basic IBM machines and one of the first [[602?) computers. We were on the service dept. floor [[2nd), and had one of the only air-conditioned offices because of the IBM machines. A Mr. Flaherty was the big boss, my boss was Eldon Hart, and Frank Stover was the top guy among us underlings.

We had a great view of I-75, and one drawback was Plant 21 had no cafeteria, so we had to walk across the street to another Fisher Body plant to get a lunch, if we didn't choose to bring one.

At that time, although by no means modern, the plant was functional and a lack of parking was the only common gripe because the only way to get a space in the small parking lot was to get to work early.

Barbara Chase was the personnel dept. secretary, and she would tell us about the exit interviews in which the departing employees would usually mention that Mr. Flaherty had never bothered to say "hello" to them, when he passed them in an aisleway on his way back or forth.

I remember that the most common warranty problem at that time was the generator on the '55 Chevy.

Senior
    Last edited by Senior; July-02-10 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling correction