Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
I think people mean Meijers, Super K, Walmart etc.
Yeah, or in the absence of that, something compelling like Kim's sounds like it might be.
I think I used to drive past that supermarket on Warren while driving up to the 24-hour CVS on late-night shopping runs. Just like the supermarket on Lafayette [[I think) a mile or two east of downtown/the CBD, there did not seem to be anything really compelling about it. It looked old and dinky, like it probably had bad lighting, narrow aisles, an unimaginative offering of foods, maybe no deli counter or bakery... the kind of place that's great for off-brand bologna packages and canned sweet corn, but rough for folks who want to do something a little out of the ordinary [[ not very, just a little - like buying a six pack of supermarket eclairs). God forbid you should have a Saturday morning's hankering for a Riverwalk picnic with a baguette and marmelade.
Apparently, Honey Bee has awesome store-brand tortilla chips and salsa [[do I remember that right from the other thread?). So they have something compelling going on. But what is out there seems to be pretty uncompelling, for the most part.
So when you live there by choice, like I did, you probably end up driving out to the burbs from time to time in order to buy some frozen Indian food, a French bread, organic sugar-free jam, freshly made non-Entenmann's baked goods, and so on. And those are probably the only city-dwellers this journalist knows, ergo her perception that there are no supermarkets in Detroit.
FWIW, I think she's making the right point about Kim's, but it's true that things aren't quite as bad as she says they are.