Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

If more people stepped up to take active, positive roles in the lives of these kids, there would be a lot less petty crime.

Quote Originally Posted by E hemingway View Post
    If more people stepped up to take active, positive roles in the lives of these kids, there would be a lot less petty crime.
    At the risk of getting my head chopped off, how do you propose we do that?

If their own parents have given up on them, won't take responsibility for their actions, how should I, a single woman, take an active, positive role in their lives?

Sorry, I'm just really tired of society taking the blame for poor parenting.

"how do you propose we do that?"

www.bbbsa.org
    www.bsadetroit.org
    www.gsofmd.org
    www.mentorcollaboration.org
    www.studentmentorpartners.org

Yeah, you're right. There's no infrastructure set up for responsible people to step in and make a difference. What's the use anyways? If the fine, upstanding citizens/deadbeat parents that abandoned these kids have given up on them then we should just treat these kids like the garbage they are and throw them away.

The kids that are involved in those organizations are not the problem. It is those other monsters that need to be dealt with. Those animals don't care about themselves or anyone else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by E hemingway View Post
    "how do you propose we do that?"

www.bbbsa.org
    www.bsadetroit.org
    www.gsofmd.org
    www.mentorcollaboration.org
    www.studentmentorpartners.org

Yeah, you're right. There's no infrastructure set up for responsible people to step in and make a difference. What's the use anyways? If the fine, upstanding citizens/deadbeat parents that abandoned these kids have given up on them then we should just treat these kids like the garbage they are and throw them away.

Who gets to shoulder the blame when an adult commits a break-in or robbery? Who is it that we blame then? Do we blame the spouse? The parents of the robber? Is it the fault of society at large. Is it society's fault because we didn't have enough activities for that adult to do? And that's why he committed the robbery?

People need to learn to keep their hands off other people's property. Plain and simple. This 19-year-old knew he was attempting to do something that was wrong...he ran when he was discovered by the homeowner.

There's been robbers and outlaws since time began. You'd think they would have learned by now. But no - here another young man's life is snuffed out, and the guy defending his home will have to live out the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did.

This is a no-win situation. I pray I'm never faced with anything like this. However, if I am, I will defend my home.

"The kids that are involved in those organizations are not the problem."

Exactly. The big problem isn't that single parents or grandparents raising grandkids aren't signing their kids up for these sorts of programs. The waiting lists for mentors are huge. Thousands of young kids are on waiting lists for mentors, but there aren't enough volunteers to go around. More responsible adults complaining about crime need to step up and volunteer to do something like mentoring.

This is such a sad story from many points of view. I know that neighborhood from the 70's when we lived a little ways from there. First, I am glad that man had a gun and was able to defend himself. If it was me I would have done the same thing. There is no reason to not think someone forcing their way into your home needs an offer of milk and cookies and a nice long chat before you can do anything about it.
    I put the blame on the parents of these kids. The generation that is in their teens/early 20's are a disaster. I have two stepkids that still live on the Westside of Detroit and they are horrible. When the came with us we did everything we could to try to show them proper manners, decent values and courtesy. Unfortunately the enviornment they were in was not conducive to decent behavior and consideration for others. The girl even bragged of all the relatives she stole from. Sad, isn't it? The last straw was when these two children told their father that they hope he died quicky and not to ever expect them to do anything for him. And, these kids even went to a private, Christian/Catholic school! If that is what religious schools [[and church members) are turning into the world, just imagine what some of the other kids are like! Very frightening, in my opinion.

Default I can empathize with home-owner ...

I used to be totally anti-handgun. Until someone tried to rob my wife an me at gun point last Friday night while walking our dogs _ one is a mastiff _ by Boston-Edision. First time he pulled up and said "give me your fucking money." We were stunned and said we had no money and he left. Then he circled around, showed us the gun again and repeated his demand. We said we had no money, I told my wife to run and we ran down the alley. We called 911 and cops never came. We snuck back to our house in the alleys worried he would return. My first instinct was to just get a concealed weapon permit, take the class and go to range every other week. Next time someone tries to hold me up at gun point_ this is the third time in 10 years _ I'll be trained, with a working revolver and ready to protect my wife. Same as if they were coming in my window. Then on second instinct, I realize I don't want to be that type of person and would rather leave Detroit. We went house hunting this weekend. Did you know you can can get gorgeous houses in Grosse Point Park for less than $200,000?

Good for the homeowner. I think he should be given a medal for bravery and saving tax payers the cost of a trial and jail.

I'm sure that this piece of shit's family will lead the protests, and carp on how he was such a good boy, maybe even was mentally challenged, and how the homeowner should be jailed. They may even sue the city for a huge payout.
    I will not shed any tears for one less criminal in the city tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanpioneer View Post
    I used to be totally anti-handgun. Until someone tried to rob my wife an me at gun point last Friday night while walking our dogs _ one is a mastiff _ by Boston-Edision. First time he pulled up and said "give me your fucking money." We were stunned and said we had no money and he left. Then he circled around, showed us the gun again and repeated his demand. We said we had no money, I told my wife to run and we ran down the alley. We called 911 and cops never came. We snuck back to our house in the alleys worried he would return. My first instinct was to just get a concealed weapon permit, take the class and go to range every other week. Next time someone tries to hold me up at gun point_ this is the third time in 10 years _ I'll be trained, with a working revolver and ready to protect my wife. Same as if they were coming in my window. Then on second instinct, I realize I don't want to be that type of person and would rather leave Detroit. We went house hunting this weekend. Did you know you can can get gorgeous houses in Grosse Point Park for less than $200,000?
    Go with your first instinct regardless of where you live, you can't protect your family unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda from Detroit View Post
    This is such a sad story from many points of view. I know that neighborhood from the 70's when we lived a little ways from there. First, I am glad that man had a gun and was able to defend himself. If it was me I would have done the same thing. There is no reason to not think someone forcing their way into your home needs an offer of milk and cookies and a nice long chat before you can do anything about it.
    I put the blame on the parents of these kids. The generation that is in their teens/early 20's are a disaster. I have two stepkids that still live on the Westside of Detroit and they are horrible. When the came with us we did everything we could to try to show them proper manners, decent values and courtesy. Unfortunately the enviornment they were in was not conducive to decent behavior and consideration for others. The girl even bragged of all the relatives she stole from. Sad, isn't it? The last straw was when these two children told their father that they hope he died quicky and not to ever expect them to do anything for him. And, these kids even went to a private, Christian/Catholic school! If that is what religious schools [[and church members) are turning into the world, just imagine what some of the other kids are like! Very frightening, in my opinion.
    Yeah Linda, I agree with you about blaming those kids parents. Sounds like your step children have a lousy father.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    Yeah Linda, I agree with you about blaming those kids parents. Sounds like your step children have a lousy father.

The kids father is her husband, so what does that say about her? He's a great husband, but a terrible parent. Ya, right, maybe because he was giving all his attention to his new wife/life and the children fell through the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda from Detroit View Post
    What does "the last straw" mean anyways?

The last straw means that my husband decided that he isn't going to put up with their antics any more. They are in their 20's now and aren't going to listen as far as he is concerned. We have tried for 18 years with these kids and you don't know half of the story. It's pretty hard to parent from 300 miles away while taking care of our own mothers [[who both had alzheimers) in our home. But, you all know the whole situation in the short post that I left, don't you? I originally joined to be able to relax and chat with some folks from my old hometown. That was obviously a mistake. Sorry I bothered you folks...I won't bother you again. I have enough heart ache to deal with now that hubby is having his bladder removed Friday due to cancer. I guess that's all his fault too. Now I know why I left Detroit..and will never be back. Have a nice night.