Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No, the Red Wings stadium will not be built at the Michigan/Trumbull corner. It will be built at Cobo, with an expansion of the convention center, because that is what the city and many leaders want. They want a riverfront stadium for hockey and basketball that connects to Cobo.

As far Michigan and Trumbull, the businesses around there are doing quite well without the stadium. They can just bus people to Comerica Park. New places have also started up, such as Slows, a few blocks down.

I think the best plan for the site is phased development, around the field. Keep the field in tact to make all those fans happy, and to use it as an attraction. Where the bleachers use to be located, build apartment buildings with retail on the bottom. Built the first one at the "corner" and have come catchy name like "The Corner" or "Legend's Field" or some crap. Keep the field in tact, have events there like community baseball and concerts.

Then build additional phases around the field, such as smaller apartment buildings and maybe townhouses on adjacent blocks that are now weed-infested lots formerly used for stadium parking.

I think this would be the ideal plan, and would make most people happy. A light-rail line on Michigan would really jump-start this development. But even if that doesn't happen for years and years, there should still be a plan in place for phased development of urban, mixed use buildings. No big box crap that is counter to the character of the surrounding neighborhood of Corktown.

I should imagine it would be much easier for the parties who tried to save the stadium to instead focus on buying and developing the parcel with a memorial component that preserves the field. Just my 2 cents.

"No, the Red Wings stadium will not be built at the Michigan/Trumbull corner. It will be built at Cobo, with an expansion of the convention center, because that is what the city and many leaders want. They want a riverfront stadium for hockey and basketball that connects to Cobo. "

Mike Illitch don't want to wait for the bureaucratic process for a New Red Wings Stadium to happen. He want's his stadium to built a better location with speedy paperwork.

Building a new Hockey arena at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull would be an insult to over 100 years of baseball history at the corner.

I do not want to see Center Ice be the former location of Second Base.

When is the city going to realize that nobody is going to build anything on the corner that has anything to do with retail?

#1 The site is no big enough for a Home Depot or Walmart type store without accuring the land next to the site.

#2 The land owners next to the site held on to their property for the past 10 years for hopes something will happen with the stadium so they can once again sell Parking, they are not going to sell it dirt cheap.

#3 The theft would run any big box store out of business.

#4 There is no neighborhood to support a big box store

The only plan that would make any sense would be to build Condo's along Trumbull and Michigan Ave, and have the back porches and patios facing the field. People would actually buy the condo's based on the fact it once was Tiger Stadium.

Personally I would rather not see any condo's at all, I say preserve the field and build a replica of the 1912 single deck configuration of Navin Field that went from Dugout to Dugout. Install some batting cages and build a nice public park.

But WTF, for years we had people submit ideas and The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy had a good viable plan with 3.8 Million dollars in Federal funding.

Why couldn't the city just hand us the keys to the place and give us a chance to do the maintaince and make the place viable again. Everything the city has done with Tiger Stadium is pissed it away, and now they have a vacant piece of land that is worth nothing except for its over 100 years of history.

Tear that Shite Down!

oh, yeah.

We need something big-time imaginitive, something uniquely Detroit. No dollar stores, no big box stores. something entertainment-oriented

something must be done.. community input must be taken seriously.. can the Charter Commission get rid of the DEGC? hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Tear that Shite Down!

oh, yeah.

We need something big-time imaginitive, something uniquely Detroit. No dollar stores, no big box stores. something entertainment-oriented
    I don't get it. Why entertainment-oriented? It seems like every sort of redevelopment project in Detroit in the past 15 years has been related to entertainment or tourism. I didn't realize Detroiters had so much disposable income.

When did it become a crime to build stable neighborhoods where people live and work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    something must be done.. community input must be taken seriously.. can the Charter Commission get rid of the DEGC? hopefully...
    The problem is that there are numerous people within the City of Detroit who are addicted to stealing and squandering. If they didn't have the DEGC to facilitate that, they'd just invent another way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3