Kathleen, you should check out their actual store [[Peaches & Greens). I know you'd take some great pics, it's a photogenic place with the bright colors.

50 cents for an apple isn't bad pricing. Kim's Produce has the exact same price. And her pricing is on par with Honeybee. And E & L Supermercado is also a great place to shop for fresh veggies & fruits, with slightly less freshness than those I just mentioned but great prices. I once loaded up an entire basket there for about $13. At my local Kroger if probably would have cost me $20-$25, and I kept more of my money in the local economy.

The grocery industry is tough, with thin margins and perishability. Multiply the expense of being in an urban environment [[people stealing carts, people tagging your building, people not used to having fresh options therefor not knowing how to cook them so they don't buy them, etc) and you have a formula for fewer grocers who are willing to open up shop.

As a side note, I was at Kim's Produce yesterday and was talking to a family from France [[no kidding) who was acting like they were in Disneyland. The wife said she came to Detroit because she was leading efforts in her area for urban farming, and heard this was THE place to learn about it. Her kids & husband had a fun time picking out their gourmet fresh-squeezed lemonades while she snapped pics on her i-phone of the handmade sign by the Michigan asparagus. Of course, I gave her directions to Cub's garden before they waved au revoir.

I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I thought of it: the French coming back to Deh-twah to explore & farm