Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    a summer night ...ciragrettes glowing on the front porches,,,,transistor radios breaking the sound of crickets...my uncle listening like many of my neighbors to the tigers games....what a peaceful time....God Bless you Ernie..now we all have a play by play announcer in heaven.
    Living in Clarkston it seemed like Detroit was a whole world away but he made it seem like it was in my back yard.
    I'm now a White Sox fan but...Bless you boys and God bless Ernie.

Because of my dad's relationship with baseball and certain people, all I can say is losing Tiger Stadium & Ernie makes me feel like over half my childhood disappeared into the night.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Interesting that Ernie and Tiger Stadium both passed away within a year.
    He really tried to preserve that place.
    Whatever happened to all that development that supposed to happen after they tore it down?
    I am sorry that he lived to see that happen. I was too young to remember most of what people are talking about here, and it felt like a part of me was lost with Tiger Stadium.

When I saw what they'd done to Michigan and Trumbull this summer, I cried and cried -- and then, since I was driving around with friends from out of state, got completely lost trying to find an address, blinded with tears, blinded because one of the major landmarks we all used to navigate was gone. It was like trying to use a compass near a magnet. All your points of reference are off.

The loss of Mr. Harwell marks the end of an era. Of that era, he was one of the best.

After going through the line and giving respects to Ernie at Comerica Park I wanted to drive past Michigan and Trumbull. To my surprise, about fifty people had openned the gates and were in the middle of one of the most disorganized games I've ever witnessed.

It was beautiful.

I think Harwell's passing is marking an end of an era.... A time when baseball was truly America's pass time. Its not now, football is

A time when you had radio announcers who knew how to paint a picture for you of a ballgame where you didn't have to watch it on TV. I believe Vin Scully is probably one of the last ones left.

And to me Harwell's death lets me know that Tiger Stadium is truly torn down and we will see nothing like that place again.

I saw that too, Gnome. Was wondering how they got in. It was about 7 p.m. I kinda wanted to stop, even channel 7 was there.

Stromberg2

stromberg,

yep, I stopped in and wandered among throng ... and who do I run into? UrbanOutdoors. He was getting ready to take the mound when I left with a couple of souvenir rocks.

I see on another thread that another ad hoc game is going to be staged on Monday about 6 or 6:30

Drove by the "corner" tonight....the gate was open....people were wandering around....it was pouring rain and the field was a complete mess...truly a "rain out". On one of the fences was a transister radio, along with a sign thanking Ernie for the memories. Such a wonderful man. He will be sorely missed.

I never did meet the man behind the voice of Tiger baseball. I never even saw him in person. But I spent many hot summer Saturdays with him.

The way he called the plays through my transister radio as I washed my '60 Bel Air, and later my '67 Impala in my mom and dad's driveway, he had me transported to see what he was seeing from the broadcast booth down at the ballpark.

RIP Mr. Harwell.

Ravine Guest

Man, don't start that shit on Ernie's thread.

I was watching the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" last night and there was a scene where the 1962 World Series was broadcast on the radio and none other than Ernie Harwell was the announcer.

After fondly reading all these posts as well as the many tributes to Ernie in the papers, I was thinking that heres a guy no one can say anything bad about. Then I read in the letters to the editor section of todays Metro Times that Ernie had crossed the picket line to write for the "scab paper" as did Mitch Albom when the Freep and News were on strike. I don't remember this. Is it true?

Ravine Guest

Let's not worry about it and say that we did.

Anyone know where Ernie was buried?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3